Datasmith Plugins (Twinmotion and UE) for Solidworks Connected/3DExperience 2024 Release?

The current releases only work up to Solidworks 2023, when trying to install those I get the error that no current versions of Solidworks are supported. :frowning: I’m very interested in this pipeline, but also locked in to having to run the latest version of SW connected (current version shown below).

I’m a developer myself and tried to fool the installer into thinking that I have a Solidworks 2023 installation by creating a Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Solidworks\SOLIDWORKS 2023 key, but it didn’t fall for that.
I got the four files out of the installer by running MSIEXEC /a but trying to put that all together failed with dependency errors.

If there’s any interest, I’m willing to volunteer for testing this out if there is already work going on in this direction.

Thank you,
Mac :slight_smile:

Not sure if it works yet, but I got the installer fooled enough yet to actually install and register as an add-in to the current edition of Solidworks 3DExperience/Connected 2024.

We are currently working to update installer and testing it, if all goes well it should be released in few weeks but no clear ETA yet.

Hello Flavien,
I don’t think you are going to have to change much besides retargeting the installer to detect SW 2024 in the registry. With my “customized” install of the current plugin on SW 2024, I just ran my current model through Datasmith and that worked just perfectly.

The model is a cooling duct for 3D printing and very oddly shaped, hollow inside and the walls are only 1mm thick in almost all places. All other pipelines/file formats I tried so far including FBX out of Solidworks Visualize either didn’t work at all or got the normals all messed up into either Twinmotion or UE directly.
Nothing worked right so far, except for this!!!

I’m exited and will try an entire assembly of a 3D print head next.
Cheers,
Mac

Again, just send it, it’s fine - just update the installer to detect SW 2024!

I just did some extensive testing with a complex assembly of the 3D extruder I’m working on.

• Datasmith 2023 worked perfectly exporting into Solidworks 2024, even on entire assemblies.
  • I brought in some fasteners from McMaster afterwards, that worked too.

What else can I say, there is nothing wrong with this pipeline.

Hello again,
I have the entire thing working now, this was rough on the materials, but the 2023 version of Datasmith against the latest Solidworks (2024) worked like a champ. Not a single exception or error.
I was amazed how well the pipeline works. That model required me to go back and forth between TM and Solidworks perhaps 50 times or so, especially on detailing the PCB.
Yet, no errors, Datasmith is ready for release with current Solidworks as it I can judge, just needs the installer retargeted for the registry.

1 Like

The updated plugin is out today.

1 Like
1 Like