Datasmith Not Importing Materials + Very Broken Scale

Hey All,

So i’ve come to use Datasmith for a project, however things are going very differently to how I’ve normally had DS work.

I import in from 3DS Max with everything either Unwrapped or UVW Mapped, however on import no materials are bought over with the project, and all of the mapping has been shrunk to an incredibly small scale. These materials all look perfect in Max, so I’m a little confused why this is.

Has anyone experience this before/have a solution to it. I am 100% telling it to import materials on loading things into UE5

Thanks

Unfortunately the problem is now even bigger. Anything I import in from 3DS Max now has no materials assigned to it, including assets that have been done only inside of Max, along with Quixel assets.

I now believe this is my issue. Corona is not supported in Datasmith for some bizarre reason!

Hi Jamie !

Your main post title mentions 5.0 for the version of the Engine : Corona support comes with the Datasmith exporter starting Unreal Engine 5.1.
I would suggest installing the new plugin from Datasmith Exporter Plugins - Unreal Engine is you need Corona material support.

Make also sure you have both the Datasmith Importer and the Datasmith Content plugins enabled, or use one of our Architecture templates.

If this still does not fix your problems importing your scene in Unreal 5.1, my DM are open if you want to send us a sample scene with materials that are not correctly exported/imported.

Cheers !
Antoine

hi Mr.antoine .thanks alot regarding your comment. i already install datasmith from unreal website for ue5.2 but some times it crash in 74% of exporting datasmith from 3d max . may i know what is the exact reason of this issue?

Hi there !

There’s a few ways we can try to find what makes the plugin crash :

• What plugins do you use other than Datasmith ? Maybe a renderer with custom texture maps we haven’t encountered before or a special kind of entity that makes it crash ?
  • Can you post here (or if this is a confidential project you can send me a Private message) the Datasmith Log file located at this path (just paste it in your windows explorer path)

%LocalAppData%\UnrealDatasmithExporter\Saved\Logs

• You can also send me the 3dsMax file in PM (if possible a trimmed down version that still causes the crash) and I will look at what is the root cause of that crash.

Cheers,
Antoine