Datasmith not importing 3DS Export Geomitry

Hi,

I am trying to export a 3DSMax + Vray File via DataSmith to Unreal 4.24.

After importing the file via datasmith the geometry is not appearing in Unreal once i import the datasmith file. Only the vray lights appear.

I have selected all scene to export to export from 3DS max 2018. without error it seems.

i have tried exporting the file as FBX from 3DSmax and imported it to unreal - the file will open but without any textures or lighting.

Datasmith loads the Vray lighting and gives me errors that say "Cannot find static mesh… " continuously for all geometry

Can someone please help to point me in the right direction?
Thank you in advance!

There are a few things you can try to resolve the issue with the geometry not appearing in Unreal after importing the Datasmith file:

• Make sure that the geometry is correctly UV mapped and that there are no overlapping UVs. Unreal Engine uses UVs to apply textures to meshes, and overlapping UVs can cause issues with the import.
  • Make sure that the materials and textures are properly exported from 3DS Max. Datasmith uses these materials and textures to apply to the geometry in Unreal Engine, so if they are not exported correctly, the geometry will not appear.
  • Check the Datasmith import settings. Make sure that the option to import geometry is enabled, and that you are importing the correct type of file (e.g. .dsm or .fbx).
  • Check the Datasmith log file, you can find it in the Unreal Engine’s folder “Engine\Saved\Logs\DatasmithImporter.log” it will give you more information about the errors that the importer is encountering.
  • Make sure that the Vray version you are using is compatible with the version of Datasmith that you are using. If you are using an older version of Vray, it may not be compatible with the latest version of Datasmith.
  • Try to export your scene from 3DS Max with the “V-Ray Exporter” instead of the “Datasmith Exporter”, it’s specifically built to export the V-Ray materials and lights.
  • Try to export your scene from 3DS Max with the “Autodesk FBX Exporter” and check that all the materials are exported as well, it’s a more robust exporter than the built-in one and it may solve the problem.
  • Check if any of the objects or materials are hidden or locked in your 3DS Max scene, Datasmith will not export hidden or locked objects and materials.
1 Like

Thank you for your help

here is my fbx export and import to unreal

• Make sure that the geometry is correctly UV mapped and that there are no overlapping UVs. Unreal Engine uses UVs to apply textures to meshes, and overlapping UVs can cause issues with the import.

They look connected properly. The geometry has the UVW attribute applied.

• Make sure that the materials and textures are properly exported from 3DS Max. Datasmith uses these materials and textures to apply to the geometry in Unreal Engine, so if they are not exported correctly, the geometry will not appear.

I applied them via textures and applied to objects.

• Check the Datasmith import settings. Make sure that the option to import geometry is enabled, and that you are importing the correct type of file (e.g. .dsm or .fbx).

I saw that the geometry was ticked.

• Check the Datasmith log file, you can find it in the Unreal Engine’s folder “Engine\Saved\Logs\DatasmithImporter.log” it will give you more information about the errors that the importer is encountering.

• Make sure that the Vray version you are using is compatible with the version of Datasmith that you are using. If you are using an older version of Vray, it may not be compatible with the latest version of Datasmith.

i am using vray version 3.60.3

• Try to export your scene from 3DS Max with the “V-Ray Exporter” instead of the “Datasmith Exporter”, it’s specifically built to export the V-Ray materials and lights.

Doesnt look like thats a option for me.

• Try to export your scene from 3DS Max with the “Autodesk FBX Exporter” and check that all the materials are exported as well, it’s a more robust exporter than the built-in one and it may solve the problem.

As attached. only the geometry shows in unreal.

• Check if any of the objects or materials are hidden or locked in your 3DS Max scene, Datasmith will not export hidden or locked objects and materials.

Nothing is locked or hidden.

Thank you - can you see any thing else ive done wrong?