Datasmith light map auto UVs

hey,

I’m importing a whole house from 3ds max into ue4 using datasmith, and I’m having some problems. The baseboards appear to be overlit. sometimes they appear to have really dark areas aswell (see image 6), but mostly they are super bright.

I just had a similar problem with the walls, they had a color but sometimes appeared plain white, and I realized it was a problem with the main UVs. so I applied a simple box uvw map to channel 1 and it got fixed. but the skirting board problem isn’t the same, even with uv maps the problem persists.

I also tried increasing the light map resolution while importing the datasmith asset, but I’m not able to build light maps if the resolution is higher than the default. with the default resolution it’s rather quick, even in production quality, but when I increased the res to see if that was the problem and tried building the light maps, it got stuck at 11% after a few hours. I left it baking during the night, and when I checked back in the morning, it was still at 11% so I had to cancel.

so I was wondering if that’s a problem with the auto generated uv mapping for light maps? how does that work? I’m not able to diagnose the problem.

I’m attaching some screenshots, notice that the doors and windows modling appear to be fine, even the crown molding is mostly ok (some of it is affected too), but the baseboard is different, even though it has the same material as the other moldings.

ps.: my meshes are in no way optimized for traditional gaming engines, they are mainly quads, they all have backfaces, and their uvs always overlap. but I guess that’s the point of datasmith, right? no hassle exporting for archviz?

so what could be the cause?

There’s cases like thin long objects that will require manual unwrap still.

Datasmith isn’t a silver bullet yet and we need to invest time into those specific cases.

part of the solution will be to slice and dice geometry automatically prior to render, part is on new algorithms for light baking that are investigated

hmm that’s interesting. wouldn’t ptex work in cases like this?

I always thought ptex was the future, specially in days where we have software to paint directly onto the mesh’s surface, but ptex is now 10 years old or so, and yet I don’t see it becoming standard for anything