Datasmith Feature Requests

Have to ask - MDL import process from 3DS -> prevents retexturing the model with the exact MDL materials all over again in Unreal and having to import each one individually (Either vray or iray - Would just love this feature). If that was done, our office would adopt unreal within a heart beat!

Yes, we know we have to go back and look at these workflows now that we have MDL/AxF support. Did you create your own library of MDL?

I did not install prerequisites of the same UE4 version on all machines. Should I?

No worries if your busy I understand.

Thanks

AM

In order for Unreal Studio to capture archvis market, ‘Simplification’ is the key, I believe.

1. Simpler Setups
    Currently Unreal Engine is just too complex to be used for day-to-day visualisation for archi / archvis firms & artists. It requires steep learning process and more manpower than the conventional visualisation tools. In archvis industry, design changes regularly and often happens in the last minutes. Many opt to Enscape, Twinmotion or Lumion to produce quick / instant realtime visualisation. VRay, for instance, has this Quick Settings for starters who do not wish to dig into all the settings.
    Personally I think, it would be great if Unreal Studio provides alternative simpler settings / interface for starters, while all settings (incl. blueprints) are still avaiable at the background for expert users.

2. Stock Libraries / Pre-built Modules
    Not merely meshes and materials.
    Having many small ‘modules’ can help speed up the process. This can be for example : a default unreal master material, realtime clock, open/close door, light switch or other ‘most-used’ items. I understand these items can be easily built & setup at the background, but as speed matters in this industry, having those in some kind of modules that we can simply drag & drop will definitely speed up the process.

Datasmith in this case is one good example of what archvis industry really needs. It does simplify the process.
Looking forward to a ‘simpler’ Unreal Engine / Unreal Studio.

Thanks for the feedback, this is all on our agenda.

I’ve answered by private, I think this is not the topic for swarm issues.

Definitely agree on the simplification aspects of Unreal Studio. This is targeting users who are not primarily game developers. The more drag and drop the better. “Modules” for archvis and product viewer aren’t a bad idea.

Hey,

Yeah we’ve create our material library as and when projects have been rendered in 3DS . We always start out in substances (usually making Bitsmaps in B2M3 then importing them into Designer to create the MDL file.

We then load that into vray/iray and render using their supporting nodes.

Let me know if you require anything further though!

I think it has been remarked as item in whishlist, but I insist on highlight it: it is really needed to generate UE4 terrain in MDL criterion from level curves, or directly import meshes representing terrain but not using heighmaps. In Civil Engineering it is very common to have mixed terrains with real topology but also excavations or aditions, and so on. Doing this work with heighmaps suffers from precision as many times we work with 1 meter or less level curves for bridges or other items.

It would be very useful to receive an alert when new content is posted in the unreal studio online help. I have a check on the material already read, as happens for the videos of the Academy.

Hey Daniele, I agree – we’ve been having conversations on the docs team recently about exactly this. The challenge is how to expose new updates in a way that won’t overload you with notifications about typo fixes and content that you don’t care about, so you can focus on what matters to you, without forcing you to subscribe individually to each individual page.

Hello, I would like to use Unreal engine to adjust interior arrangements in VR.

Therefore, I would like to have the functionality to import and export a data-table containing the positions of all objects in a level.

• On one hand, I would like to automatically insert instances based on coordinates provided a .csv/data-table.
  • On the other hand, I want to make changes in VR and store (export) the deviations.
  • Or alternatively, set all changes back to their initial positions in that datatable.
  • Also, if I add new items within Unreal based on existing instances, I want to export their coordinates.

Does a functionality like this already exist, or is it yet under development? If not, I might write my own blueprint for this. However, I am pretty new to Unreal.

Those can be done now, provided that you get involved in blueprints.

All of this is possible, but node programming is needed fortunately. Here a sample we use, exporting transform data for laboratory equipment from Revit with Dynamo and reading into UE4 with blueprints. Loving Data Structures…

Realtime exporting to Excel is possible, there are some good plugins in marketplace for doing it.

Here you can see how we did a RAL Color Scheme menu in VR for design decisions for bridge structures, all with blueprints:

Programming puts the limits above on the sky…

That is pretty impressive Santiago!

Thanks ! I really enjoy coding blueprints for improve UE4 / US capabilities for AEC.

Thank you both for the feedback, I’ll dive in the details soon.

Another thing that just popped up in my mind, is to have options for LOD settings immediately at the Unreal Studio CAD import menu:

The CAD import already has import settings for Chord Tolerance, Edge Length and Normal Tolerance, but only for single imports as far as I know. It would be great if some of these settings would directly result into different LOD’s.

I’d really like a simple multiplayer system or template for android to build buisness meeting app and share virtual reality space.
The viewer template is not built to be “mobile friendly” and this is unfortunate

The new pixel streaming system is a way towards this type of workflow, where the same quality is available no matter what platform you use, provided that a powerful desktop runs the app somewhere

I tried but I did not find any material about it.
But is it a function that has yet to come out?