Datasmith could really do with MVR Export Support to take it to the next level with lighting

Hey all,

I got in touch with Vectorworks recently about how import light sources from Vectorworks into Unreal (Using Datasmith) was so close to working but not quite there. They responded to me and said this was due to Twinmotion not supporting MVR Export and that it might help if I posted on here, so here that is. Below is the email I sent to Vectorworks detailing the issues:

Hey Vectorworks,

Would love to get some help- I’m exploring using Unreal Engine for Pre-Vis, given it’s incredible power with photo realism, lighting bounce and shadows.

I loved seeing that I can export to Datasmith from Vectorworks- Just a couple hours cleaning up a file and I was able to export a file that was almost ready for vis. I can see from the marketing material that TwinMotion/Datasmith export is intended for architectural and not Lighting Vis but it seems so close already it’s a waste to not get that final bit over the line and get this extra use. Materials/Textures come across really well and using the architectural tools in Vectorworks makes it an ease to have Vectorworks as part of this workflow.

I just have 1 problem- Lighting Instruments are exported awfully! There are a few key points which I feel could be improved and I’d really appreciate your thoughts on how to make this process. Perhaps some are due to the lighting device models I’m importing. I’ve tried to write this somewhat like a long bug report/ feature request.

1. I’ve attatched a photo of what 1 Source 4 comes across as in the World Outliner in Unreal. I believe what I have here is 3 parts of a hook clamp (The clamp, the bolt and a TINY tube which cannot be seen unless everything else around is deleted), the yoke, the body and some sort of front lens. Every single one of these is in tons of nested groups. They really need to be in 1 group for the fixture and no nested groups. Perhaps 1 nested group for the hook clamp at most, which I believe they are already in.

2. The automatic labelled isn’t useable. Could fixture be labelled using their channel number? Or their type?

3. Lights seem to rarely actually generated a light source (Spot light) in Unreal. I can’t work out why sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t.

4. When lights do generate a light source:

5. The focus is always wrong. I’ve attatched another screenshot showing a Source 4 that had been focused in Vectorworks but has created a light source which appears to be offset be 150 (ish) degrees pan. All the Transform rotation details are completed different, so it’s like it’s using a different reference system to generate the light source’s rotation info. Even if I replace the light with something from a fixture library having that focus is super helpful!

6. The generated light source isn’t grouped with the light body and has a meaningless name like “DSLight0_314816”. Could it be “{type} and/or {channel number}”?

7. The generated light source has bad default values. Given Vectorworks can do a little bit of Visualisation of these lighting devices it might be possible to import some of the fixture properties into Unreal? The key ones would be Inner & Outer cone angle which could translate from Beam angle & Field angle, intensity (imported always is 5000000.0 which is far too high. Obviously all lights are different but closer to 5000 is far more realistic. I’d imagine most people will end up replacing the imported light source with one from a fixture library anyway so perhaps this isn’t that needed.

8. The generated light source is inside the imported model and casts shadows on the model, so I have to delete the model before I can use the light source! Could this use a lighting channel between the model and the light source so as to not cast shadows? https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/BuildingWorlds/LightingAndShadows/LightingChannels/

3 Likes

Hello F1rools22,

can you share some of the screenshots with us.
In intro you speak about Twinmotion and Unreal Editor imports. Among all the issues you list are those things you see when you import in UE or Twinmotion?

Hey FlavienP,

What would you like to see screenshots of?

The issues I list are things I see when I import into UE.

Apologies, Just realised original screenshots hadn’t worked properly. Screenshots attatched.

Five. Wrong Focus
One. Lights Unreal

2 Likes

Any luck? I have resorted to rebuilding my whole rig in unreal. I put an UE5 moving light right next to a Vectorworks import. The DMX works well. And as you mention sometimes the Vectorworks emmiter works. Sometimes not. Even after rebuilding cone depth and build lighting…

Anyway my stage architecture looks amazing in UE5. But the day when hundreds of fixtures are needed… hmmm

MA3 mvr 3d viz is quite good these days. But it bogs down my expensive board to 6fps. Network session to a real computer is the best for 3d

1 Like

Hello I saw on the unreal site that in version 5.1 the import of the MVR format incorporated in the import of the datasmith format is finally supported, could any of you tell me how it works? How do I import the mvr file including texture fixtures etc ??? Furthermore, to import a stage, how does it work, should the file be exported only to datasmith or should it also be exported in MVR format, can you help me?
I await a precise response from the staff or from you users!
Thank you
Greetings
Matteo.

going to understand. What I saw is that when you import datasmith, UE ask if you want to import mvr also. I export from VW a datasmith file with lighting fixture containing gdtf etc… but I don’t know how to proceed

As far as I understand, I believe that with the addition of mvr file support to the datsmith plug-in, I think it is enough to patch in vw once the gdtf files are associated with the fixtures present within the vw project, patched, then just export all at first in MVR and then subsequently export to DATASMITH and import everything into unreal enginestrong text

Hi, I just noticed there is a new plugin available called Datasmith MVR. First export a scene from VW using Datasmith, next export the same scene as MVR file and save it in the same location as the Datasmith export file. When importing the datasmith file into UE it automaitclly picks up the MVR data too.

Only down site I see at the moment, that the spotlight is placed within the Geo and since it’s a the light is blocked. See image attached. Do you guys know of a fix for this?

1 Like

Have you had good luck Importing VW into UE? I’d like to pick your brain as I am struggling a bit.

Hi,

You have to export the MVR and Datasmith into the same folder. Then Unreal picks up all the channel data from the various lamps.

Cheers,
Ridder