Datasmith 5.1 3ds max plugin fails to find 3ds max 2016

Hi All!

I know there was a discussion about the same issue for 3ds max 2022, but I have the same trouble with 3ds max 2016 and Datasmith 5.1. Is there any solution out there, please?

Many thanks!

Just to add to the above, Datasmith 5.0.3 plugin installs fine with 3ds max 2016, but there is no Datasmith tab in the ribbon. I can still export through max’s dialog box, but I cannot use the direct link feature… (I am not sure if the direct link has been added only after 5.0.3?)

Could anyone please confirm Datasmith 5.0.3 is what I am left with, as I do not really want to upgrade 3ds max, at least in the near future…

Many thanks and have a great day everyone

Direct Link and the new Ribbon were added to 3dsMax starting 5.1.0.
Any version before will have the old workflow through the Max export menu. :slight_smile:

See The Datasmith 3ds Max UI for Exporting to Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation for more about the ribbon in 5.1.

And Exporting Datasmith Content from 3ds Max to Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation if you want to use the 5.0 plugin.

Cheers,
Antoine

Hi @Antoine_Guillo, thanks for explaining the differences between the 5.1 and 5.0 plugin versions, that is very helpful.

I still do not understand though, why 5.1 does not automatically recognise the installed 3ds max 2016 on my system? According to the documentation, 2016 is supported: Datasmith Exporter Plugins - Unreal Engine.

Could you perhaps shed some light onto this, please?

Cheers, Radim

Hi Radim ! Sadly we could not add the Direct Link (and the new ribbon) workflow to 2016 due to technical limitations of this version.

5.1 is supported from 3dsMax 2017 to 2023, we need to update our Datasmith Exporter Plugins Download page to reflect this… Sorry for the inconvenience !

Cheers,
Antoine