Dataprep with Rhino Tags

Hi,

I am trying to import some geometry with tags in Rhino via the Dataprep asset.

I believe tags are a relatively new Rhino 7 feature and follow a standard key/value tag format.

Currently, my tags are being lost and are not transferred to processed geo. Are there any plans to add support for this in the near future?

Thanks

Hi Evmatica !

Are you referring to Text Fields ? Rhino - Enhanced Text Fields

Those are supported and will export in your Datasmith file and import in UE as MetaData (see Using Datasmith Metadata in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation)

Here’s an example :

If it’s something else, I would be happy to help if you can point to me exactly where those tags are (or even better post a simple file featuring these tags).

Cheers !
Antoine

1 Like

Thanks Antoine, that was super quick :slight_smile:

Very interesting, tried it today and didn’t work. Maybe the reason I can’t see them is that I am trying to do this on 4.27?

Hmm weird it’s been a feature of the Rhino plugin since 4.26.

When you open the exported .udatasmith file with a notepad, do you see Metadata lines ?

Those are located at the end of the file, here’s a sample :

<MetaData name="ebdc4a2bd85a40a01a39e1cfc8cb1406_DATA" reference="Actor.ebdc4a2bd85a40a01a39e1cfc8cb1406">
		<KeyValueProperty name="TestKey" type="String" val="TestValue"/>
</MetaData>

Cheers,
Antoine

1 Like

Hi Antoine,

I was using an older Datasmith version on my personal PC. It worked once I switched to an up to date one.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to hear !

As a rule of thumb, always update your plugins when you’re updating the engine :slight_smile:

Cheers !
Antoine