This is the first time I’ve ever ran into this issue. I’ve set up my data assets the same exact way in previous files before and they all work flawlessly. But for some reason, this specific file just refuses to access the data asset unless validated or recompiled in the blueprint it’s assigned to.
I’ve deleted the original Primary Data Asset and its children and created new ones
I’ve deleted the child weapon blueprint and remade it
I’ve deleted the pickup blueprint for the weapon and remade it
I’ve packaged the game to see if it was just an editor issue and it wasn’t
I’ve migrated everything from that file into a clean one and the issue still persists
I’ve added the Primary data asset and its file location to the asset manager and forced it to always cook and it’s still broken
I found a ghost reference of the original Primary data asset in the content folder in file explorer. I deleted it, deleted the save and intermediate folder, and it still doesn’t work without validating.
I’m at a loss as to what else I can try to remedy this. The only other option I can think of is rebuilding from scratch again on a new file. But I want to do that as a last resort. I’m hoping maybe someone here might have an answer for this problem. I have backups of this file just in case if a possible solution bricks it. Thanks in advance
Little update to the question post, I am getting partial data from the data asset. Checking the output log and it’s saying that the spawned actor cannot be spawned from a Null class… So this might be a whole different issue, because without that spawned actor I can’t get the skeletal mesh, animation blueprint, and textures. But I can get the other basic stuff like ammo count, audio, and specifications. So maybe the data asset is working like it should and the child blueprint and the parent blueprint are damaged in some way?
Another update: Deleted both the parent and child weapon blueprints and rebuilt them from scratch. The issue still persists…
uninstalled the engine and reinstalled it. Still getting the same issues. Found out Reset Localization ID helps “fix” the issue temporarily until I close the editor again. As far as the actor coming back as Null when spawning, The pickup blueprint does recognize the actual blueprint and the data asset. It carries it as a soft reference into the player character and is instantly lost right before spawn actor where it goes from soft reference to hard reference.
I made another file and started building it from the ground up, no migration. All set up the same way, the issue happens in that file also. Created another new file, merged all the old code from another file that I knew was working. Got it set up in the new file and the issue happened again…
I have not. Granted, I don’t even know where to begin to look for the Asset Registry, assuming in the project settings somewhere? I did however find out what you said in that second line remedied my issue. I swapped the soft reference into a hard reference and it works again. I even closed and open the editor a few times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, but it works now.
The downside to this though is that my inventory system relied on soft references for the weapons to carry them over between levels and saves… I’m going to have to figure out a new way to write that now. I appreciate the response
The closest I found was in Asset Manager , under the tab Asset registry for metadata tags. Could be it, but I’ll look further into it. Thanks again for your response and pointing me in the right direction.