Daedalus - Random Dungeon Generator

We are pleased to announce that our random dungeon generator plugin, Daedalus, is being ported to UE4!

You can read more about it here and here.

Random generation sounds awesome, but not sure if i would buy this when i just need a few small dungeons - the price would matter in such as case. Can i seemingly integrate this into my existing game layout? Like i place the dungeon entry somewhere and define the exit?

Yes, absolutely. There are a ton of options in the current version (for Unity) that we are porting to UE4; you can specify entrance/exit, entrance/exit distance, what to spawn in entrance/exit tiles, etc.

Can i somehow add traps, keys-doors or puzzles too?

Traps, yes. Keys-doors no (yet). About puzzles, I think it’s something way too game-specific to include into a generic plugin, but maybe some examples will come in the future, that’s an interesting topic nonetheless. Anyway, full source code will be provided together with the package (somehow…), so you will be free to add more features by yourself.

Ok, thanks, will follow your project.

Hi . Daedalus = cool name. Random Dungeon Generators are popular: 1, 2, 3, 4, so I’m certain Daedalus will be a huge success. I jumped into the fray developing semi-auto dungeon generator, OUBLIETTE. I did not see Network Replication in the list of features. TIP: If you intend to add multiplayer or reuse a specific procedurally generated level, make use of Random Streams/Seed for random number generation. I’m a big fan of procedural generation so I’ll be keeping my eye on this.

Thank you very much for your feedback! In the Unity version, we just pass a seed over the network to recreate the same map for all players. We’re fairly “new” when it comes to UE4, so replication is something we didn’t look into yet (but will surely do at a later stage). Also, RandomStreams look like a nice alternative! Will definitely have a look at them.

Passing (replicating) the RandomStream Seed over the network is exactly how its done in UE4 as well. Using a particular seed will regenerate a particular dungeon, so its also a great way to save dungeon data in a small compact way.

Any update on this? I’d love to get my hands on it for a test-run.

We have it working in its main features, but it still needs some work on the UI side. If you’re interested, PM me your email and I’ll send you a preview version as it’s ready.

Any news? I had checked out the Unity version a while back and have a project coming up that this would be really useful for.

Hey Vormulac, the project was put in standby because we started working on our own game. Daedalus generator somehow flew into this game we are developing (which does a massive use of procedurally generated dungeons), although it doesn’t have all the features present in the Unity version (mainly because we just needed some of them for our game).

We may consider completing the porting sometime in the future, but it’s not in our priority list at this stage :confused:

In the meanwhile, there are other fully-fledged solutions for dugeon generation in UE4; did you have a look at Dungeon Architect, for example?

Ah, that’s too bad. I can understand that though, good luck with the game :smiley:

I’ve had my eye on Dungeon Architect for a while but it seemed a bit heavy for my needs. The project that requires some grid based dungeons is still a ways out though so we’ll see.

Anyway, thanks for the news. Cheers.