Cyberpunk city Environment

Hi guys! I’m a videogame art student of UA.School. In this showcase, you can see the final proyect of my first year of the career. Always I liked the cyberpunk style, so I wanted to make an environment based in a sci-fi city.

I started doing the blocking and collect references to have a clear idea about the illumination, assets, and the general development.

It is a proyect which I will need to put a high effort, but I’m very exciting with it. Weekly I am going to share the making off, so I will be glad to recive feedback.
See you in the next post. I hope you like it!

5 Likes

Greetings @Chanza_art !

Welcome to the Unreal Engine community! We are very excited to have you join us!

Thank you for creating this space for us to follow along with your development journey! We eagerly look forward to see what your creativity will bring.

What about the cyberpunk style attracts you to it? Is it the crowded city, the night lights, the futuristic era - tell us more?

1 Like

Hi @Get_DOVAH_it.

I’m glad to know you like it. Always I loved the cyberpunk style, and I watched a lot of productions like Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell or Akira.

The most I like about this subgenere is the social-political dystopian, the darkness of the city illuminated by neon lights and of course, the advanced technology that is part of everyday life.

It’s a very cool style with a lot of potential to create great stories, and which makes me think we are going to end up in a few years in a cyberpunk world.

I hope you like the progress in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Hi guys! I wanted to share my progression in the last weeks.

I started with the modular parts to construct the buildings in unreal. It was a entertaining part of the environment creation. Just by adding a few pieces, it gives a lot of life to the city. The challenge of this week was to design the architecture, and for all the pieces to fit together and for everything to look natural.
Also, I finished the main asset’s LP, the flying sci-fi motorbike. I really want to texture it!

Throughout this week, I will post the process I followed to make the modular parts.

5 Likes

UPDATE: ASSET HEROE (SCI-FI FLYING MOTORBIKE)

Today update is the final asset heroe which I have been modeling with a few 2D concepts.

I texturized it in Substance Painter. It was my favourite part of the process without doubt. I wanted to texture a motorbike with wear, so I added metal edge wear, dirty, rust,… following a sci-fi style. It composed by 3 UDIMs in order to ensure a high quality.

The feedback and critics are welcome. It will help me to improve the texturing.

Low Poly model

High Poly model

3 Likes

Lighting test

This week I had been testing the overall lighting. With some references which I saved, I was adding the atmosphere that a sci-fi city has: skyscrapers with screens, posters, neon lights,… combinated with diferent colours. I wanted to ambient it in the night, so I needed to delete the default sun light and the brighteness. Now it really does look like a futuristic city.

Below are some concepts of what I want my final lighting to look like.

3 Likes

Update

This week I had been working on the second asset heroe, which is a cybor head hologram. I was testing what the hologram material would look like with the help of youtube tutorials. The first problem I found is the transparency. There are a lot of geometry around the head, so the visibility of the internal faces looked weird, so I needed to do more complex the opacity channel to show only the external faces. With that, you can not see what are on the other side.

Also, I retarged the default mannequin for a paragon character, in the unrela marketplace.

retarget

3 Likes

I finished modelling the modular assets, and texturing the main buildings with tiliable materials. Too, I have been working in the interior area of the bar. Now, I am adding some animations with blueprint, to do the level more natural and entertaining.

3 Likes

It all seems to be coming together well @Chanza_art!

The references you’ve chosen are also just fantastic. Good luck in the development of this and I can’t wait to see it finished :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m glad to know it ^^

1 Like

I have practilly finished texturing both buildings and assets, except for some details to fix. Also, I added the base of illuminated window textures, outlining the outline of buildings darkened at night, and to make the environment more realistic. On the scifi motorbike I put a dust animation with niagara effect to simulate better the floating.

For now, I’m satisfied with the way it is turning out. It’s getting closer to complete!

3 Likes

This week I have already started with the final touches to complete the environment. Being cyberpunk, I’m filling the space with screens, posters and holograms, some of them animated, to make it a much more entertaining environment. Basically, this part should be one of the main elements.

Also, I’m adding other elements, such as pipes, sewer decals, traffic signs,… I also made some expressing machines, taking two styles of textures from the same model.

5 Likes

I finished the environment which I had working on in the last 3 months. I’m very proud with the resuult. I hope you like it.

2 Likes

While I am a little late to the party, I hope you are doing well, @Chanza_art. Your Cyberpunk City environment came out beautifully. Congrats on seeing your creation through to the end, and I hope we get to see more of your work in the future! :grin:

1 Like

Hi Chanza!

I also offer you congratulations on the completion of Cyberpunk City Environment! :champagne: :tada: Thank you so much for sharing your project with us! Will you be uploading a video flythrough in the near future? We’d love to see your environment in motion!

1 Like