Customizable viewport mouse navigation

I work mainly in blender with MMB/shift-MMB style viewport navigation but learning UE. Is there way (or are there plans to add option) to configure UE editor same way? Currently switching between software packs forces muscle memory to adapt and it takes a while so such feature could save some time.

4 Likes

Hello aleksander.pusz,

you can change your viewport navigation controls inside the Editor Preferences under the Edit menu, both the behavior and keyboard shortcuts, under the ‘Level Editor - Viewports’ and ‘General - Keyboard Shortcuts’ tabs respectively. You just should make sure that you don’t have any shortcut collisions, if you change them.
Something to be aware of that those settings are engine level, meaning they’re shared between projects opened in the same engine version but not in between engine versions.

Here’s a link you can look at, for a bit more info: Editor Preferences | Unreal Engine Documentation .

Hope that helps. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Vecherka.

1 Like

Hello Vecherka,

Thank you for answer.
There are indeed viewport navigation controls, but only keyboard-related navigation is possible to set. I can’t find option to change viewport orbit default alt+left_mouse_button into shift+middle_mouse_button. Is it possible?

Best,
Alex

Hi aleksander.pusz,

First off sorry for getting so late back to you. I doesn’t seem like that’s possible, at least with the exposed parameters.

Do you plan to add such option? It would be nice to have possibility to freely configure viewport navigation to save some time when switching apps.

Hi aleksander.pusz,

My Apologies but I’m not a staff member, sorry for causing confusion. You can easily identify any staff members by their ‘Staff’ badge.
I couldn’t find any plans (from unreal’s public trello board, as of the time of writing this) for expanding the customization to the viewport navigation controls. The only way you can do this (to the best of my knowledge) is to edit some source code.

Is there way to create feature request?

Hi aleksander.pusz,

yes you can do that over the forums, maybe you’re lucky and somebody already created such a feature request, you can then upvote that one.

I also love Blender’s viewport navigation. UE one is really hard to use. Memorizing both is not possible.

1 Like