Customer Complaint - KY Magic FX 05

Since there is no thread for this pack, I created this thread.
It might also function as an example for the marketplace team on what to look for before allowing content on the marketplace.

I purchased this package to learn from, and as a fellow effects creator considering to purchase this instead of asking how a specific thing was made feels like a honorable thing to do.
There where a few particle effects that made me curious as to how they where done, so after downloading it, I started digging into the folders.
that’s where the joy rather ended.

The particles themselves look good, no question about that, The movement, the color, effects, all very tight and overall high quality… but this is far from user ready.
Yes I purchased to learn some techniques from it, but even if I wanted to use it for myself, or a client… I would need to dig trough all of it, sort it, clean it up, and more.
Its just unacceptable.

Materials/MatInstances:

• All the Materials are a mess, no commenting besides one or two things, and those comments are so global they are useless.

• None of the parameters/variables are properly named “Base”, “Sub”, “TrueRG_FalseB”, DoomAlpha_tTop_fDown", “compY_invert” to name a few, nor are they properly commented in instances.
    So I need to spend time figuring out every input.

• Besides adding comments on groups of nodes, describing variables/parameters and giving them proper grouping names are a must for proper workflow.

Which gets me to another point with the Materials.

• The names are occasionally really generic “M_Base”, M_empty", MI_frost", etc.
    Big chance other content has names like that, and files with duplicate names is confusing, and ue4 doesn’t really like it either.
    and just as a personal pet peeve, It would be nice if material instances where in their own folder… (though that’s a personal pref.)

• Most of the materials don’t have “Responsive AA” enabled, which can really help with visual fidelity.

Meshes:

• Meshes should start with SM_ or something similar at least.
  • Mesh names like “circle”, “mySphere”, “unnamed”, etc are just a big nono.

• Most of the meshes have collision enabled, while as far as I can tell none of the mesh-particles do anything collision based. (for performance)
  • Most meshes have light-map UV’s (Auto generated), they wouldn’t need that as they are dynamically lit, if they are lit at all. (for performance)
    (Granted, some might have an additional UV for vertex blending or other uv-blending stuff, but I havent found any)

Textures:

• It would be nice to see that Textures use T_ or similar as a naming convention.
  • As with the meshes, names like “aura”, “noise”, “noise2”, “smoke2” just wont go, big chance of duplicate naming etc.
  • Masks should be set to RGB, not SRGB. (changing them would result in different gamma, resulting in totally different particle visuals)
  • Texture group should be “Effects” for effects.
  • (optional) masks could be set to “Masks” in the compression settings.
  • There is a seperate texture folder for distortions, this should preferable be in the textures folder, but also contains a master material (?) and a MatInstance (?)

Finally, we are at the particles!

• Names for the tabs could be improved. (“Fire”, “Fire”, “Fire”, “Fire”, “DecoSw”, “sw”) which makes it rather hard/annoying to find out what is what.

• No particle LOD’s, aka poor optimization. (Especially with stuff that spawns over 100 mesh particles, some lights, heavy instruction material sprites, etc, etc… optimization for particles is a must!)
  • Oddly set spawn rates, some of the Mesh-particles could get away with spawning just half, and occasionally just 1 mesh, instead of 10-20. (performance nitpick)
  • Random folder called “Once” which contains some more particle effects. (Really nice ones I might add though)

So, Visually… the pack is really nice…
But its hardly user friendly, project ready, nor project optimized.
While the author does claim these particles are “Windows OSX Linux PlayStation 4 PS4/Morpheus Xbox One Oculus Gear VR SteamVR / HTC Vive HTML5” ready.
Without any optimization, spawning a few of these particles could result in a decent performance drop.

I know some of this might sound like nitpicking, which… to a certain extend I can agree with.
Its the amount of problems (I have) with the pack that accumulates to an amount I just cannot agree with.

Now, I spend almost 1.5 hour digging trough the files and writing this post… time I could have spend either learning, or working on projects.
I hope this is valued feedback/commentary on a package that could be amazing if some higher standards where set.

Thank you for the post. I’m always glad to see the community offering constructive feedback to content makers. And his reply in the marketplace was a good sign things will improve. I have a few of his packs as well and found myself wanting to learn from the content as yourself. I noticed some of the issues but what you’ve shown seems a little more sloppy than before. I think some of it might spawn from the fact, he may not be fluent in English?

I live and die by this wiki entry on naming, so I figure if the author sees this post, he can reference it: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

Thank you for the review!That’s not nitpicking! Very useful for me.
and I’m sorry,I’m not assumption that buy for study.
My assets are hard for study.
I’m not recommend that buy for study.
but I want to improve as much as possible.

-No description of the material of the comments and parameters.
Because My English is not well,Representation of the comment has been difficult.
I think that comment is misleading to reverse.

-Not use Responsive AA
I’m listening that it’s take load,So I do not use.

But I’m going to some fix.
e.g.
texture.png

meshes.png

I able to review for your advice.Thank you very much!
Please wait update!

Such good support for your products! Thank you Kakky. And Luos for speaking up and helping the change!

Hey Kakky!

The package isnt only for studying, if I would use parts of your particles for a client, chances is I would get a request to clean it up.
That wouldnt make me, nor my client happy.

If you want, I can look over the comments/parameters you made and improve translation :slight_smile:

Its actually not that bad, and does wonders for small effects.

__

Thank you for updating the package, I really appreciate it!
I was afraid it might offend you, as I respect you a lot when it comes to particles!

Isn’t that against the marketplace TOS? Unless I’m misunderstanding what you mean by this. I’d imagine what you describe above falls under reselling content that is sold on the marketplace.

I occasionally get marketplace content from clients, which I then need to modify to get their desired results.
Also:

“The buyer is also licensed to make the content available to employees and contractors for the sole purpose of contributing to products controlled by the buyer.”

Its always wise to ask a client which packages they already own, or are willing to buy.
In most cases you can receive the content they have to use for their project, and occasionally willing to buy it for you.

Edit2: You dont want to know how often I was asked to modify the fire/explosion particle packages XD

I see what you mean, I was a bit confused by your wording in the earlier post. Thanks for clarifying. =)

"If you want, I can look over the comments/parameters you made and improve translation "
Oh! Thanks!! but no Thanks.because I’m poor.Haha
Thank you thoughtfulness!!
I want to improve little by little on my own.

“Its actually not that bad, and does wonders for small effects.”
I see. Use to small? e.g. like dust?

“I was afraid it might offend you, as I respect you a lot when it comes to particles!”
There is no such a thing.
I am still immature. So I’m happy advice like you.
I’m strive to be more growth!!

Hey Kakky!

Just noticed the update!
Great work on adding LOD’s, improving overall performance, and adding some naming conventions :slight_smile:

Yes, it makes them look more crisp/sharp/clear.