Custom Playercontroller not working, at all

Hello

I am trying to create a custom playercontroller with blueprints but its not working. I set the playercontroller in the project settings to my custom one (Eggcontroller) and when it didn’t work, I then outputted the name of the currently used playercontroller to the screen with a “print string” node and it printed “Playercontroller”, when the name of the custom playercontroller is not this. Also none of the events in my custom player controller are firing, presumably because its not used in play. Also its not being overridden in the world settings.

Is this a bug or am I forgetting something? Any help would be appreciated.

Same problem, spent a few hours on it today…

It started working properly after I printed the name of my playercontroller. I did this inside my GameMode blueprint. Still works after removing the extra nodes.

You might want to try changing something in the gamemode blueprint event graph (doesn’t matter what) and compile+save. Then test and revert the changes.

I wouldn’t bet on this but it might be worth a try.

Ok, the bet is on now, it’s replicatable.

Replication steps:

• Create new gamemode.

• Set gamemode in the “world settings tab” of your level.

• Save, close, reopen the editor, hit play, do that again (you can probably skip this, just to be sure)

• Create PlayerController

• Set PlayerController in the “world settings tab” of your level.

• Test - old PlayerController is still being used

Saving does not help. Hitting compile does not help (except if done on the gamemode-blueprint-window).

1 Like

That fixed it for me! I just went into the custom GameMode, added a new node, compiled it, and now it works! I was able to delete the node afterward with no problems.

Hey i had this issue too. What fixed it for me, is simply opening the gamemode and clicking compile. This will force a recompile and make it work. :slight_smile:

Holy ■■■■, that’s quite a annoying bug… happened to me too, but I had to recompile twice…

Thank you!

Thanx worked for me V4.15.2

OH my god I had same problem for days DUH i could not figure it out i redid all my scripts in my camera BP im so ■■■■■■ all it was was i had to click compile. THANKS SO MUCH!

I tried to do the same unfortunately it didn’t help. I recompiled multiple times and nothing. I even restarted the editor also did not fix the problem. It uses the default pawn no matter what I do. Please help!!!

I am using ue4 version 4.19.2. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

I had this same issue all these other suggestions of recompiling didnt work. i was able to get my controller to work by upgrading the engine to a later version this was no good for me so i rolled back with the problem still there.

The way i was able to fix this was by Reparenting the custom Controller to the PlayerController again.

For any one that cannot fix this with the suggestions above, Like me. try Reparenting the Custom controller with the PlayerController again this fixed my issue

Hi there, like you I spent hours trying to understand why suddenly I had the same issue then you… and then I realized that my player controller class wasn’t “PlayerController” but “Replay Spectator Player Controller” !!!

282286-sans-titre-2.jpg

Try to put the same custom player controller for both of the classes and see if you have any improvement.

2 Likes

another possible solution is trying to check if you are playing in simulate mode.

2 Likes

I also had the same problem where the PlayerController always loaded instead of my custom controller. I tried recompiling all my scripts, but that didn’t help. What worked for me was to set the GameMode Override to None, run the game, then set it back to my custom game mode. For some reason, that worked and I see my custom controller again.

1 Like

You are my hero.

Love u so much

Boom!