Custom Player Start Actor

I tried to make my own custom Player Start Actor and am having issues. I originally based my actor as a child of the Player Start class. However, that class has components I do not want in my Player Start Actor so I made my own. Now I have the problem that I cannot choose Default Player Start when I press the Play button in Editor. How do I make UE4 Editor recognize my actor as a Default Player start? When I press play, my player start spawns the player pawn and as well, the engine spawns a player pawn at the camera location as well…

Hi blindminds

You need to use a custom GameMode. With your custom GameMode you can override the function “Choose Player Start”. Inside place some logic to retrieve your custom Player Start actor.

I hope this helps.

Alex

1 Like

OMG, thank you! thank you! I NEVER would have found this and I could not find anything in docs. This is exactly what I needed! Would have been nice if they would have had a “blank” base Player Start Class and made then made a child class of that for the default. There is no base class to choose other than the default. Thanks again!

Hi blindminds

Glad this helped.

Would have been nice if they would
have had a “blank” base Player Start
Class and made then made a child class
of that for the default

The player start class does have extra functionality inside it. Unreal has built in functionality to handle multiple player start objects especially in a networked environment. I.e. “If a player is already at a player start, send the next player to the next available player start” etc etc.

This is why we can override these types of functions to add our own logic if we want to go against the way Unreal intended these objects to be used.

Good luck with the rest of your project.

Alex