I started making a custom game launcher similar to Riot’s for Valorant.
- UE4 Editor Plugin that can upload release versions or new patches or DLCs to AWS S3.
- UE4 runtime plugin that can update the game launcher or download the game launcher if it is missing.
- Custom but customizable and flexible game launcher written in C# with WPF that can update the current UE4 game.
I started creating this tool because most of my UE4 apps are not games and are not meant to be published on platforms like Steam or the Epics Game Launcher.
How it will work
The Editor Plugin will be able to upload new versions of the game to a server. It will only upload the changed files (exe, pak, pakchunks, etc.) together with a changelog.
Within the game launcher, the user can use all available versions of the game. The game launcher itself just downloads the files it needs, deletes the old ones, and starts the UE4 app.
I plan to make this available on Github for free if there’s enough interest.
Also on the TODO list:
- Upload to different types of servers such as FTP
- Jenkins scripts to automate the upload process
- User login for the Game Launcher with AWS Cognito
- The user can start an Aplha, Beta or Release version of the app via the game launcher
If this already exists, please let me know and provide information on where I can find it
Suggestions or recommendations are welcome