Custom Collision Mesh for Gear Shapes

I’d like to use physics to turn some gears.

The gear shape I’m using seems not to be compatible with any kind of custom collision mesh which has the same shaped outline as the gear (it’s not a convex shape? don’t know, kinda looks convex).

I feel that what I want to do is impossible, which is to have gears turning based on physical interaction, due to the limitations of custom collision meshes.

But at the same time, this also feels like a somewhat basic thing…

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, they would be very appreciated,

Thanks!

It is possible to make your own collision mesh in Blender using other primitives. But in this case, it’s much easier to change the collision from ‘project default’ to ‘use complex as simple’.

Thanks ClockworkOcean for the reply.
I’m sure I’ve tried in the past to use complex collision in physics sims and Unreal wouldn’t let me. Anyway I will see if this works!

Thanks -

Ah, with physics, maybe not… :-/

True and tested. Works well enough.

1 Like

I thought of that, but for cogs, bit of a pain in the bum… :slight_smile:

You scale the mesh up and decimate it. A little clean up will be required, some manual tweaks.
Making detailed collision like that in 2022 is a major pain in many orifices, agreed.

Another solution is to attach the instanced static mesh teeth to a cylinder. Thanks to welding, it should work fine.

Famous Last Words

Trust me, I’m an engineer.

This way you could make procedural cogs. Maybe? Depends on the scope needed, as per usual.

As a proof of concept, procedural teeth with ultra-wonky default collision:

Applying torque to the left one:

Image from Gyazo

If you make a decent collision for a single tooth, it may work ok.

Here’s the first attempt for $hit & giggles:

A fun demo- Everynone, thanks!

Procedural cogs isn’t something I’d thought of, though it looks like that could work. Your other idea, I’m not sure what you mean by scaling up the mesh and then decimating it. Do you mean making a higher poly version and then decimating and using that as the collision (with some cleanup?)

Anyway, a bit to chew on here. Great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aye, pretty much! To speed things up. Duplicate the original cog mesh and get rid of the redundant vertices. Unreal can use that simplified mesh as Simple Collision, and it allows for physics simulation.

1 Like