Cubic Voxel world with different block types

Hello everyone,

First of all, I don’t want to make some Minecraft clone.

Anyway, I was wondering what would be the best way to make a cubic world with a few different types of blocks(=different hardnesses, one for the terrain, one for buildings, one for player-built structures and an indestructible one), preferably in Unreal Engine 4. Of course I’ve already looked up voxel world generation online, but couldn’t quite find anything I need. One of the biggest problems is that all of those blocks have to be able to take a lot of different colors, because they won’t have a very “present” texture. The thing is that I don’t wanna make a whole new block for every color. The maps are not supposed to be big, only like 2 km² or smaller, overall graphics don’t have to look amazing as well.

I hope some here has an idea, the map creation is the only thing at the moment that’s holding me from making the game. If you have any questions or need for more information, feel free to ask. Any help is greatly appreciated!

You could learn how to use perlin noise. That allows you to generate maps with different block types on certain heights. For example from grass to sand to water. I can’t provide an example. But it’s a good starting point to google up.

Thanks for your answer, I’ll take a look at it :slight_smile: