Cub3r - Daydream Google VR Game

I just released a VR game for the Daydream platform:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d…llowhead.cub3r

I want to thank @ and @Minus_Kelvin. Without their help at key moments I wouldn’t have been able to finish and publish the app. If you have a chance please check out 's daydream app called WE COME IN PEACE, which is one of the few UE4-based games for Daydream, and the first UE4-based game ever released for Daydream. He did a superb job on the game, and I consider it one of the best games currently available on the Daydream platform. You can find 's game at the following link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d…headgear.WCIP

I used a modified UE4 master release binary labeled as 4.18 (within the past few weeks), and a modified google vr plugin (also including the most recent changes to code) so I was able to take full advantage of the latest commits to the code in both cases. The new audio engine is absolutely amazing and really ramps up the immersive experience within Daydream. I was able to take advantage of spatial attenuation. All my wav files, as a whole, played much better in the new audio engine than compared to the original because of the increase in available channels (I had a lot going on audio-wise).

There is no single component of this game that is unique. I borrowed thematically from other sources. I used concepts which I directly copied from other genres, but I think I managed to combine everyone else’s ideas into something new and fun. When I play the game I don’t want to leave the little world I created, and I hope other people have that same feeling too.

I tried to keep everything tight and simple, using as few pieces of code as possible in order to force myself to create something I could finish within a reasonable amount of time, and also force myself to use the simple components I created in the most creative way possible. In this regard I was kind of inspired by Keith Richards. I saw a documentary a few months ago where he explained why he used Open G tuning when he wrote some of his most popular songs. To me it was a revelation. Open G tuning results in the loss of one string on a guitar, and when Keith Ricards experimented with Open G tuning it kind of forced him to come up with new and interesting riffs.

Let me know what you guys think.