Cryengien 5.3 vs unreal 4.14

Look, Like unreal their engine is a beast. But their games nowdays are mediocre. I hope they make crysis 4. And continue work on the engine.

There’s a huge difference between telling the truth about missing paychecks and “trashtalk and publish bad marketing about the engine”.

It’s not like they’re the first studio to over-stretch themselves and I wouldn’t accredit any of the fallout to malice, just incompetence (Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia)

I have tried the other engines, UE4 has everything i need… :slight_smile:

To answer your question, if your game requires:

• Ocean/water system
  • Volumetric clouds/fog
  • Real time GI
  • No 5%/free
  • Scripting

= Cryengine

else UE4

and because until their latest iteration of the engine is was just a pain in the *** to do anything compared to Unity or even UDK.

That’s what ruined Cryitek:
business strategy by subscription,
bad work with the community (and there were wonderful people !!!), weak and superficial feedback, enthusiasm for various trinkets (the so-called killer-features), while not very clean code (compare the analysis made by PVS-Studio, for example).
And for Linux is there any source code to build? Again only Windows, is not it?

Crytek need to mobilize and work very well and hard, if at all, they want the engine, and at the moment they can compete only with UE3 (T-H-R-E-E !!!) (or 3.5 ). At YTube exist comparision CE vs UE3.

CE 5.3 is way ahead of UE4 in features.

I honestly hope that they learn from their mistakes and rise to the top of public game engines; because that way Epic stays motivated to work harder and conquer the lead, benefitting all of us Unreal users.
You know it’s like an alternative reality now, unity was that cool small indie company and using it was , now they are evil godzilla and I see myself cheering for CryTek the fallen god of graphics olympus… Wtf world is this, take me out of the matrix pls!

In CryEngine I’ve really liked the good performance with fully dynamic lighting. It would be great if UE4 could focus a little more (if it’s possible) on dynamic lighting.

Way ahead is an exaggeration, but ok. Even so, it lacks so much in usability that extra features just don’t cut it.

What stops you from using it?

CryEngine is awfull at programming and workflow.

From using CryEngine? Compared to UE4 or Unity; A lack of proper documentation and/or tutorials. And the clumsy workflow, it takes much more time to do things that in Unity and UE4 takes literally a few moments.
It makes solo developers and small teams lose much more time compared to UE4 or even Unity, whilst the performance and graphics of those engine is plenty good most of the time.

But honestly, I started out with the first versions of CryEngine and as such it will always have a special spot for me. I honestly do hope they pull themselves out of this mess and succeed, their tech is great and it would be a sad day for all devs if they go down.

Give me a general project example that would take longer/clumsy to create compared to doing it with UE4.

I agree, they should revamp the editor, remove old tools and make a new workflow like Unity or Unreal.

They are on their way. They have revamped the editor and they trying to make their workflow like ue4. for exemple a new beta feature has been added called schematyc. witch is like ue4’s blueprint sytem. blueprints are much deeper now but they are just getting started. they have planed on a node based material editor nad even a node based shader editor. CE5 has alot to learn from UE4 and vice versa

Ukraine is still a functioning country after both Putin and Obama’s stupidity / arrogance?

True. But so far they’ve never shown any interest in improving their documentation. Instead, they want to sell their support. This is not a good way of appealing people.

If I’m not mistaken.

They have uploaded a bunch of tutorials to start with. The ue4 documentation is massive compared to CE5 but they just are starting out, with streams and video tutorials to cover the most important things because they are trying to get more and better documentation. (BTW i really like that you can choose between cryphysics and physX)

Yet they don’t seem to put a sincere effort in it. Most of these tutorials are really barebones and not all that useful for practical considerations. The documentation is also rather poor. Most of it is barely updated since the release of 5.x. Which already a while ago, Epic did a lot more and faster concerning tutorials and docs. As someone pointed out before, they seem to want people to buy their support packages instead.