Crouching Animation in Third Person Template

So I’m new to Unreal Engine 4. I’m trying to figure out how to get my third person character to crouch, but I’m having no luck. I tried looking up tutorials on how to do this, but I only found ones that show how to do this in the FIRST person template. So I am completely stuck here. Anyone out there willing to help out a noob such like myself? :stuck_out_tongue:

1. you have to import your crouch animations (courch idle, crouch walk) + create a blendspace 1d (like the one from idle/walk)
  2. Now in your character bp enable “can crouch” and add those nodes:

1. in your anim bp you will have to cast to your character bp + get the crouch bool variable + create a new bool in your anim bp and connect it with the crouch variable from the cast:

1. in the anim graph you will have to add a new state + add your blendspace into the state which you connect with the speed variable + add our bool variable into the transition:

In your second picture, the node “Cast to ThirPersonCharacter” has two other connections on the left side of the nodes, but the wires go off screen. What are these to other wires connected to?

You will have to get the cast node from the “try get pawn owner” -> so just drag out the blue link from that node + search for “cast to …” :slight_smile:

And what about the white wire?

It’s connected with the “set speed” white link (just connect it to the branch -> the last white link which is not connected with something)

Sooooo clooooose! XD I finally got him to do the crouching Idle animation. (Had to redo your steps twice for some reason to get it to work) But now the Crouch walking animation won’t play when I move while crouched. He just slides around. I must be doing something wrong, but I’m not sure what. Any ideas?

Oh wait! Nevermind. I got it to work. I didn’t add in the speed variable before. Oops. :stuck_out_tongue: Well thanks to you, I finally got a working crouching move in my game. Thanks so much for your help. One last thing. I kinda don’t want the camera to pan down when he crouches down. I want it to stay how it is, crouched or not. Is there a way to fix that? That’d be great. Otherwise, thanks again for your help. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

You saved me so much time and stress with this! Thanks for posting!