CRITIQUE REQUEST: The Apartment

Ok so I realized I shouldn’t be so afraid to show my work here just because “it’s not good enough”.

The Apartment

Just to make it clear I am NOT currently trying to achieve absolute photorealism. At least not for now. I may very well take all my current works and ‘upgrade them’ or create some new pieces for exactly that purpose later. But for now I gotta work with what I got.

For my personal work. I like stylized, rich colors with depth and I love comic books and animation. I’m sorry but post-apocalyptic is just so ■■■■ depressing and boring to me

So I’m not looking for praise and likes here. I would actually like some constructive criticism (keeping in mind the direction and look I’m going for) so that I can improve my skills and grow to become a better artist and eventually storyteller as well.

QUESTION 01: Lighting

I don’t like the way it’s grainy on the wall by behind the TV console in the living room. In fact its grainly in all the shadow areas.

At the time I had trouble with my RTX 2080 card just crashing my computer constantly so I used Loushangs baked lighting.

My guess is if I update to 4.27 and full real time raytracing. It will dramatically improve and fix all lighting issues?

Any other recommendations on this?

QUESTION 02: Materials

i - Definitely that fruit bowl and the fruit on the coffee table needs to be done right.

ii- Even the black wooden part on the coffee table looks totally wrong?

iii - I don’t know how to fix the lighting materials on the doors in the kitchen leading to the outside.

iv - Reflection and the odd warping and shadows - see bedroom mirror

v - There’s an odd washed out greyness to red sofas. Its something to do with the skylight

Vi - I just noticed the bedroom pillows are glowing!?

QUESTION 03: Camera Moves etc.

What do you think? Composition, framing etc.?

Anyhow this was all done quite a while back. I think it was Unreal 4.24? I have not opened this project in a very long time.

I do have some time now and felt I could fix things up and possibly continue where I left off. I remember there were also crazy light bleeding issues where I had to put actual geometry outside the external facing door and I think it was the windows too?

Thank you!