Environment: Volodymyr Stepaniuk
Utahraptor: [Racksuz]
Sound by:Johan Sugarev
Hand animation:Iclone8
Electric props: [Universal Constructor]
Flashlight: lyoshko
Pistol: Reality Escape

Progress Screenshots

Hello there! My name is Jae and I am an active duty military fulltime for 12 years and also a part time student pursuing a media entertainment degree. A year and a half ago I decided to pick up Unreal Engine as a hobby and I am having so much fun with it. For Better light than never challenge I decided to use a flashlight as the main source of light in this short. This challenge was so difficult since you couldn’t edit exposure in post. I had to re-render quite a bit to get the right mood I wanted. Anyway I hope you all like my video! Thanks!

Engine version 5.02

23 Likes

Really nice man , love your work :+1:

3 Likes

Nailed it. Great work!

3 Likes

thank you

1 Like

thank you very much

1 Like

This short film is amazing!But I think the lens shakes is little more,Here’s my little piece of advice.

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback mate and yea i used the vive controller as the camera for that uneasy shake feel i didnt want the audience to be comfortable at all hahahaha

2 Likes

I’ve followed your channel since you started it and I have learned a lot from you. You are a source of inspiration. I wish you the best of luck. Very good job I love it.

2 Likes

thanks friend!

Hi Jae! (@jsfilmz )

It’s amazing that you’re full-time military and still find the time for yourself to immerse into UE! In your 1.5 years’ experience with the engine, your presentation comes across as a developer with a lot of “know-how”. Although this challenge was very difficult for you, you didn’t give up on it, and that is very commendable! :medal_sports:

The darkness of your short builds tension as the viewer has absolutely no idea what to expect in the dim, red lighting. The flashlight gives us a tiny peek as to what lurks beyond. Your lighting and camera work evoked curiosity, anxiety, surprise, and panic (in that order). Great job!

What about media entertainment do you find the most appealing?

1 Like

Hey there Get! So yea I only get to play unreal on the weekends mostly since I have 2 kids and am also going to school part time. I have always liked movies and watching behind the scenes stuff is how i mostly learned how to make movies of my own. Currently, I am really enjoying love death and robots format. The genre is very similar to what I am trying to do with my shorts. Thanks for stopping by!

1 Like