Credit for Paid Items?

I was wondering! do we have to give Credit in our Games even for items we’ve paid for from the Marketplace?

Usually you don’t, but I would check the licence file that comes with the package first just in case

Where do you Find that?

As far as I’m aware you don’t have to. The marketplace usage guidelines specify how you are allowed to use it, and I don’t recall there being a clause in there regarding credit attribution.

No you don’t , you can modify the assets and reuse them for free unlimited times.

Thanks Guys…

Personally I would love attribution, but I’m not going to hunt you down or anything if you don’t. However, if there are only a few assets you’re using and they make up a significant portion of your game, it’s a pretty good idea to attribute, usually a special thanks in your credits would be nice.

If you got your money for a pack why should someone attribute you? And ofc you won’t hunt noone down becouse you can’t , becouse only Epic can do that since we buy from them not directly from you, if you want attribution don’t ask money for stuff and give it for free.

1 Like

No one is saying anyone should attribute a marketplace creator. @mariomguy simply said he’d personally love that, which in every way is a fair thing to say. If people or teams pay for a specific item on the marketplace and they use that in their game there’s no obligation to do it, it’s up to the buying party to decide whether or not to give credit. And asking for attribution when buying something rather than giving it for free and only then asking for attribution is still a fair process, there’s countless licenses which you can upgrade to have non-branded as opposed to the, often cheaper, branded version where attribution or a link back is required.

I’ve noticed some items claim you need to give credit within their respective text files, but I don’t think they can actually uphold this, especially as you don’t get a to agree with it before it it purchased.

We are talking here about the unreal marketplace in which that’s not the case but I understand your point.

Geez, I didn’t realize some people were so uptight about giving credit to people who dedicated years of their lives to a product that sells for $25. No, attribution is not REQUIRED, but out of respect, it’s appreciable to mention the people who helped you along the way. I gave special thanks to Epic and Unreal for a game I made because my game wouldn’t have been possible without their work in the engine and documentation. And my friend who recently graduated Ringling gave me special thanks for all the help I gave him in helping him make his trailer. It’s simple and common courtesy to thank the people who helped you, regardless if they were paid to or not. If I hadn’t charged anything for my work, I wouldn’t have been able to put nearly as much time into it, and I’d still be running UE4 off of a GT 640 instead of a 960. I’m handling this project out of my personal computer in my own room. If my PC dies and I don’t have the money to fix it, then everything comes to a halt. I will no longer be able to help anybody. And if the time comes again that I make another game, ESPECIALLY if I use other people’s work, I will definitely make sure to credit them. I didn’t just get here and figure out how to make a game all on my own. I learned a lot from my teachers, from my friends, and from this community. And I give back to the community by sharing my techniques and helping others in any way that I can. The only reason I charge some things on the marketplace is just to make sure I’m financially able to keep up. I’m not making a living off of the marketplace. I made enough to upgrade my card, and set aside money for new software and equipment should this one ever fail me.

904a7b2e7e439f3c75c145134b3fa124b74c07b3.jpeg

+1 for attribution for stuff you bought to make your game
which includes bread, coffee, your keyboard, your electricity provider, air to breathe etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

All jokes aside I’d try to keep credits professional.
If you only bought something I don’t see a big point in mentioning that asset / pack in the credits.
If, however, you received additional support or were able to rely on decent documentation there is a valid point of giving credits.

Personally, IF I ever do make a game that somehow makes it to the market, I would totally credit the marketplace folks… More people know about UE4 and the marketplace the better.

teak

The college I went to insisted on providing credits, especially if the work was going into your portfolio. You can’t just put stuff that other people made and call it your own. I’m fine with anyone using my system for any purpose. Just don’t pretend you were the one who made it. With the release of my system, I credited caner_ozdemir for the iterative parallax solution (still in use today), mAlkAv!An for some code regarding parallax occlusion, and Ehamloptiran for the original parallax occlusion solution. Epic’s Ryan B worked on that thread to form a final solution for the parallax occlusion with shadowing and stuff, and yes, I did credit him! It’s not that hard.

If you’re working on a giant project to model New York City and all you bought from someone else is a $5 trash bag model that appears 3 times, maybe crediting the guy who made the trash bag would be silly. But if you bought a pack of foliage and you’re using that person’s foliage pack to completely fluff out your game, yeah, credit for that would be really good.

Credit should be given more for professional and courtesy reasons than legal ones. Special thanks in your credits would always be appreciated by the artist/designer/programmer and you should respect their work.

I don’t think it is a good idea to make attribution a part of the licensing because
a) as Ambershee says it is probably unenforceable,
b) you just might turn off perspective clients (they might not want to to be forced to share the spotlight with you and if they sell the game to a publisher, it might be a turn off to them as well) and
c) probably clients would for one reason or another not end up do it.

Credits are nice sure, but they aren’t required. I don’t think it’s accurate to say that developers are pretending they were the ones who created it by not including attribution. My assets were used in the Mass Effect ride in California. Would it have been cool to get some credit for it? Sure. But they aren’t obligated to, because they purchased my assets and there was no requirement in the license to do so.

Keep in mind though, this is just when it comes to marketplace content. If you want to sell your assets elsewhere and include a usage clause that demands credit placement you’re free to do so. Just make sure people know what terms they are getting before they purchase your product, because as Ambershee noted springing it on them after the purchase isn’t going to necessarily hold.

I certainly don’t expect attribution or credit for those who use my marketplace products in their projects, though, I wouldn’t have a problem with being credited either. If I wanted credit, I would add that requirement to the license for my marketplace assets.

The same goes for products I purchase. If they do not indicate in the licensing that credit is required, they should not expect it.

In my personal opinion attribution or credit should be given to those who helped you in other way then selling you a pack , if I buy a pack from the marketplace you didin’t help me only , I helped you also so that’s a fair trade, but when a seller gives you extra support and help now that’s where the credit comes up. And @mariomguy ofc you credit Epic becouse they gave you a free engine to work with along with documentation for it don’t compare it to something that you sell in the marketplace.

I will put credits and event send a game keys but…

I thing that if you buy through the markeplace, any additional licensing is not legal.