I am trying to create a small scene, albeit something along the lines of a hi rise scifi city.
After some looking around, I found I wanted something in the vein of the fantastic LA 2097
Whilst I have my own buildings and ideas, I want to gather from the community how I would approach the lighting of such a scene…
- the ambient light? if any?
- Should it be night lighting? Dusk?
- Neon lighting?
- Smaller environment details - save to last?
I am looking for thoughts and ideas on how I could tackle some of the environment effects as listed here, in particular how to make the buildings come to life.
I have the buildings with detailed textures, but they have been created as if it was a day scene.
Should I redo some of the textures in photoshop and make them bright so as to highlight windows?
Perhaps I could use the same textures and apply another over it almost like an emissive noise mask? can I do such a thing?
I don’t really care so much for a sun, more so purely an ambient scene. Dusk feels the right thing I am looking for from a time point of view.
If I could just control ambient lighting, it might work nicer and I might try that over the next day or 2…
I have tried
- pure night time - just did not have the right feel. I think that was due to the lack of lighting…but it’s better then the daytime
- ground scene - lit and baked…looked terrible hence exponential height fog…
- I notice at night with a super bright sun but no skylight, I get the effect of reflective textures from the distance…could I use this to my advantage?