Creating randomized grass painting brush

Hello, is there a way to paint random grass objects on an landmass? I’ve created several grass meshes in Blender and am looking for a way to randomly paint them all on large areas.

I’m also looking for a way to control details like colors, density, maybe wind settings, etc. but I don’t know how any of this works. I’ve tried to learn it from tutorials but I couldn’t find anything at this level.

It would be really nice if someone could tell me how or where i could learn this

Hey there @Ayano_022! Welcome to the community! So this answer is multifaceted because it’s actually multiple different systems you’d be interacting with here to get the desired effect. Going to likely backtrack over things you already know but bear with me while I ramble a bit, I answer questions so that if complete beginners stumble on this post in the future they can use it to the largest extent…

Component 1: You can paint foliage directly in our Foliage Mode, and even check off multiple so that they come out randomly with a couple of settings for density.

UnrealEditor_2022-09-03_20-32-30

Documentation: Foliage Mode in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation

The procedural foliage tool allows you to set up a simple system that generates foliage procedurally in an area, density, and type that you assign.

Next a quick tutorial on adding wind to any kind of foliage you’d like. This will let you set up parameters in your material for wind, but you can control colors and such with parameters this way as well.

That’s all nice and dandy, but what if you want to control these things in large groups at runtime? Then Material Parameter Collections are your go to! They allow you to have those parameters change on all materials that call those parameters at once, so if you wanna have variable wind that effects every foliage? There you go!

And there’s so much more to foliage!
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you! You really helped me a lot with your answer