Creating Assets with Brushwork

Hi guys, this is my first post ever! I’m really glad to have discovered these forums.

Anyway…I was wondering, is it bad practice to create assets from brushwork (like, place a cube, manipulate and group it and other shapes into an object) or is this just fine? Is that even called brushwork?

Will items with a lot of little pieces cause performance issues?

I learned Blender years ago and could probably pick that back up, but I’d just like to know. I’m still very new at this, I just left Source for this engine. I know more about Hammer and Source but that engine is a ****show, and I’m sick of the migraine that is using it.

I’d love to hear from you guys, and I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place, or whatever. Thanks ahead of time. :slight_smile:

If y’all have any beginner pointers or stuff like that, let me know. I’d love to slowly become more involved in the community here, and hopefully as I learn and grow I can learn to help others out while learning a good deal myself.

I know one of the guys who did character models for my thing, he used to work with the Unreal engine. What he did, he used brushwork for the streets and other terrain for his map, but everything else like buildings, etc. were models. I’m sure if you had a nice ratio like that, your map would turn out fine.

PS. They’re called Geometry Brushes :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:;););););););););););):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: