Creating and merging prefab assets (a la MegaAssemblies); best practice?

Hey guys,

I’m working on an asset pack. I’m using BP mesh assemblies for quicker level iteration (ie, wall pieces with parameters for color, different accent details, sometimes even includes animation, etc.).

I want to include larger assembled pieces as examples/prefabs (complete buildings). Problem is, I can’t collapse them into a single mesh (that loses all the blueprint info). Collapsing them into a BP is also a little bit of a nightmare (when the BPs copy over and become children of the “container” BP, the parameter settings break). Same problem with MegaAssemblies in UE5.

I could try building within the blueprint editor, but that has two downsides: I hate working within the blueprint editor. But also, selecting the sub-BPs within the container BP is a little cumbersome in the level editor. I’d like the end-user experience to be as smooth as possible.

This is ALL to say, I’ve found the best solution is to simply save the prefab as a level, add it to the current level using “Add Existing…” in the level window, and then set the streaming method to “always loaded”.

I just want to make sure this would be a viable method for most users? I don’t have a lot of experience (well, none) with level streaming. Are there any performance concerns? Or potential conflicts arising from working this way within a game?

Thanks!