Creating a Pause Menu with UMG?

Basically I want to create a menu like this. This is from an old gamecube game but it’s perfect for describing what I want. I want to make it so when the player presses a key, let’s say “P”, a menu pops up, which will offer the player choices like seen below. They can look at their items, character status, or system to change options or save the game. Problem is, I don’t know how to get a background like this? I don’t need the character images to be displayed, what I want right now is the top part. But notice the greyish blue background that everything is displayed on. I need a background to put these things, like Item and Equip text on, so that when the player presses P, the menu will come up with those displayed. No tutorials (that I’ve seen and I’ve searched for days for a solution) have shown a way to make a menu remotely similar to this. Usually, it just has Inventory on top, with a whole bunch of boxes on bottom, which is obviously not what I want. Can anyone help?4ffec7d2d93e22519fdb578a225d3006b8c57766.jpeg

Start by trying to make a menu that lets you see a box with a mouse to move around on. Then work from there one step at a time.
All you need to do is call “Is Paused” and set it to true or false and then make sure that your UMG elements can be worked on while the game is paused (it’s a separate box you put a tick in when you make the UMG).

I’ve tried my hand at this. I have Canvas Panel, then I put an image so that I can have a similar blue-grey background, then I have Text, but since the image and text are both in the canvas panel, the text keeps getting hidden behind the image? And I don’t know how to keep the text on top, if possible.

As you can see in the image, I have 4 text boxes but only Skills shows on top? But if I scale down the image “Start Menu”, then the other text can be seen behind it, how can I fix this? The blue background is just something quick I made in photoshop.

Put your things in panels. The text is not inside the StartMenu Panel.

The StartMenu is not a Panel, it was just an image, but nevermind, I found a solution, at least for now… Two canvas panels, one inside the other. Now I have another question, if you’ll indulge me. I’m looking for a blueprint operation that can close certain widgets? But not all of them. As in, I press P to bring up that menu ^ I posted above, I click Status and am taken to the status menu. How do I close the status menu and get returned to the pause menu, then have to close the pause menu as well? I have backspace set to “get all widgets of class, widget class: pause menu. -> Remove from parent.” But can I get backspace to just close the most recently opened widget?

You will want multiple variables for different states of the UMG HUD. You can toggle the visibility of each object by binding it’s visibility to a variable that you would most likely have in your game mode

Hmm, I still don’t really get it, I’m still new at all this.

lol and also found the perfect solution for the first problem, I just change the ZOrder and that’s how I make things stay on top of each other. :slight_smile:

ENUM!!! LOL Enum saves the day! Set up an Enum that will control all of this based on your states. Always works for everything from weapon swapping to menus.