Creating a new Open World

I will apologize in advance for what seems to me to be a very basic question.

I’ve spent the past week or so covering tutorials 12-14 hours a day. Map making, blueprint development, etc trying to get a good handle on the tool. If I rely on the default map, I can create all sorts of stuff on my own now with some struggle which is to say I’ve learned a little. But the one thing I cannot find any answers on is how in the world to create an open world map without the engine inserting its own mountain range height map. I’ve been searching for hours on how to stop it creating that mountain range so I can start practicing sculpting my own open world terrain.

I don’t have lots of height maps or other content to rely on and really want to learn the tool.

P.S. I’m a retired programmer of 40 years. Always wanted to do game development but got trapped doing 40 years of the same old database work for banks and government. It feels really silly I can’t figure this one out.

Thanks,
The Manxxx

File->New Level->Empty Open World

(post deleted by author)

Yes, you could also just delete the terrain in the one you have and add in a new flat terrain

(post deleted by author)

Just add a new directional light. Or use the Environment Light Mixer and click the buttons to add everything.

(post deleted by author)

Hey there @The_Manxxx! Welcome to the community! If you’d like to use the default open world map, you can actually just right click on the layers that are there, create a new one, then delete the others and you have a brand new empty map!

You could also just select the layer the Unreal logo is on and erase it directly there:

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

Those are the Landscape HLODs. The default map has some that are already cooked. You can delete them by pinning all the actors in the HLOD folders and then deleting them.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Fantastic! Just to add a documentation tie-in the future for anyone having issues with HLODs, this documentation page can help:

1 Like