Download

Creating a Map

Hey there, I’m pretty new to Unreal Engine 4 and I’m making a map for my survival world but I’m not to sure on how to do it. First off I was going to terrain tab and create a big map and then put a material down of grass but I want a map to be surrounded by water kind of like a island but a massive one.

For that you need :slight_smile:

-a terrain -> https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/index.html
-a water plane + water material -> launcher in the learn tab you can find one
-make sure to plan your map very carefully -> dont just create a big map

Hm, I’ve been looking at the terrain link you sent me but that is more about making a mountain type terrain I’m looking for a map like the game DayZ how there man is mainly flat.

It works the same. With the landscape tool you can create every type of landscape that you want (mountains, hills, desert,…). Beside that you can also use programs like world machine in which you can generate a heightmap which can be imported into the landscape tool :slight_smile:

OP, I have been working through the same concepts for the last two weeks and the main thing I would recommend first is to read the landscape system documentation and tutorials. It’s really important to begin with a solid base of understanding what a landscape is in UE4, and how it relates to the rest of the stuff in the world. Most important are the topics that discuss quads, sections, and components and how they make up the landscape mesh.

Basically every landscape is a mesh of vertices where the z coordinate of the vertex has been translated up or down to create height or depth. You can move these vertices up or down manually, using the sculpting tools in the landscape editor, or you can generate a “heightmap” which contains all of the z-coordinates for an entire landscape.

I started out creating a flat plane using the “Create new” and “Fit to world” controls in the “Manage” panel of the landscape editor. But it quickly became apparent that manually sculpting a realistic world would take far too much time. I ended up settling on a workflow which uses L3DT Pro to generate the terrain heightmap, which can then be imported into the terrain editor using the “Import from file” control in the “Manage” panel. There are some important constraints and rules about the size of the map and the number of vertices, which is another reason to read the documentation so that you don’t just end up frustrated.

Whether your terrain is mostly flat or mountainous it still consists of a mesh with the z coordinates translated as described above. This is all arbitrary, but for the moment assume that z = 0 is “sea level.” If you begin with a flat landscape mesh located at z = 0 then anything you “push down” will be below sea level, while anything you “pull up” will be above it. How far down or up you translate the mesh is up to you. Of course, there is no “sea” in Unreal, so that z = 0 figure is all in your mind until you create some sort of water surface as fighter5347 suggested. As a temporary placeholder I just created a cube and then scaled it out to cover the whole level. I named it “temp ocean” and dropped a water material on it. It looks terrible, but it’s only purpose is to show me where the shoreline is and it will do until I get around to making a better one.

Good luck!