Creating a Level without Player Start

I’m working on a 2D game and have created a basic level. For a certain plugin to work, I need to have player character being on the level from the beginning, not spawned from the Player Start (because I need to select it from the editor). But the problem is, that it when I try to play the level, it doesn’t move.
I have an example level, without Player Start. The character just is on the level and becomes playable when I start it. But I cannot find the difference between this level and mine.

Where to look? How to make a character, that already exists on the level, playable (an active player character)? It has character movement component and basic blueprints for handling movement and animation.

The player start is just a placeholder, it doesn’t do anything. It doesn’t spawn the player.

If you need a player in the level to configure before you start, you can just place it in the level just like any other actor.

Having said that, you do need to make it possess on play in the details tab:

296622-possess.png

1 Like

just as a side note: make sure in the “World Settings” tab (could be called level settings) of the editor, the gamemode has ‘none’ as the default pawn. Otherwise there might be a Pawn sitting in your world origin.

There is a nice Tutorial by Mathew Wadstein on Youtube if you need more details on spawning Characters: HTF do I? Change Default Spawning Character in Unreal Engine 4 ( UE4 ) - YouTube

1 Like