Download

Creating a game somewhat similar to Neverwinter Nights

Hello all,

I am very new to game creation, my background is in 3D Modeling, Animating, VFX, texturing, and video editing. When I found out that UE4 was free, I jumped at the idea of making a really awesome game. My plan is to create something like Neverwinter Nights with a mostly static Isometric camera system, but with a completely different leveling system. I am planning on using a system similar to Baldur’s Gate: Dark alliance and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes. My main question is, is it possible to do a narrative based RPG along those lines in UE4, without knowing a bunch of code. I am fascinated by the Blueprint system, and I think for the most part it should fill the need that I am needing it to fill. I am just very confused on weather you are able to build something with a 4-person party system, and with a pause ability, again similar to Neverwinter Nights. I haven’t really found anything conclusive as to if that would be possible. Also, I would need to figure out a way to do a menu system, with codex style entries, an Inventory, and things along those lines. All of this is beyond my knowledge right now, but I would love to learn. Again, I am still in the very early planning stages, (still coming up with a full story line or the game for instance) so I will not be ready to fully start anytime soon. I just want to make sure that this is the engine that I want to devote me self to learning.

~Forgotten_Avatar

Welcome and short answer is yes.

Have look at these items in the Marketplace, that were solely built with Blueprints.

TopDown Toolkit

Spell Cast System

Character Attribute System

Weapon Equip System 2.0

Blueprint Inventory System

It will definitely be able to do what you want it to … I actually have a team making a game inspired by Neverwinter Nights called Soul Wars … 8-}

Awesome. Thank you so much. Now that I know it is possible in UE4 I will start to get better with blueprints and start planning out how to build things. Again, thank you so much.

You can pretty much do everything in blueprints. That is Epics intention for them anyway. There is a little learning to do, a lot of trial and error, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be cruisin’

Pretty much anything is possible in UE4. =)