Download

creating a custom event in the level blueprint and calling it in a class blueprint

Hi, i need some help for this problem:
i’m making a simple 2D side scrolling game, i need to make the player pick up coins (like super mario, a simple overlap event).
I created a custom event in the level blueprint (which contains many of the game, score, highscore, coins, ecc), but i want it to get called by the blueprint of the coin (coins spawn randomly). I’m stuck on how could i call the custom event in the class blueprint. i tried to make a variable which contains the entire level but i get an error.

some screenshot:
this is my level blueprint

(i’m using console command as debug tool)

here’s the coin blueprint, in the red circle i need to put the custom event call

1 Like

You can use eventDispatcher for this
but to better orgonize your work , you can put your variables ( score, highscore, coins …) in your gameMode and cast it every time you need to change a value

1 Like

wow, thank you for both advices. I think i will move the code from levelBP to gameModeBP.

Btw, do you know any tutorial or example to suggest on the usage of event dispatcher? i never used them and i found the official documentation incomplete…

in your situation it can be a little tricky cause the coins are spawned randomly .
In general :
in your coinBP , you create an event dispatcher and call it
in your scene you select your coins and go to LBP, right click and tape the event
f53180a19bcc24cba8af5e81a9ae565b4491350c.png1b792b6443d6af1597ea20c13a8841e32f26510c.png

You Can look into my Tic Tac Toe game sample , i used it to update score

482503aac905e8dac371828275db3c4d0cbd5d97.png

c7392943f1495c928e809b2fe3873ab71fb3a3be.png

thanks a lot!

so, i firstly tried to move the code to game mode BP instead o level BP, it’s actually more clear.

this is the function i made in the game mode BP

while this is what stay in the coin BP

where swarm swarmGameMode is a variable that should contain the game mode BP

with this code the event in the game mode BP is nevel called.

so i tried with the event dispatcher:

first i created an event dispatcher in coin BP and called it

sorry for the lame question
but then, in the game mode BP, i didn’t understand how to make that event to actually make something

maybe your swarmGameMode instance is empty

you can try this

or this

Nice now works fine!!
Thank you! :slight_smile: