CreateExport failed to load Outer for resource 'AssetImportData'

Hi,

I’m running on a mac Unreal 18.3. When I tried today to open the project that I’m working on many of the materials didn’t load the textures and I received a message log with a lot of errors like “CreateExport failed to load Outer for resource”. All the textures seem to be in the textures folder. For some reasons, the materials are not loading them.

It also happened that I had another version of the same project for Unreal 20. Since I received all the errors on version 18 I cannot even open version 20, before opening Unreal crashes.

I tried everything I found on the web but nothing worked. I even tried uninstalling completely Unreal and Epic Games, but it didn’t change anything.

Please, let me know what I can do to fix this.

Thanks

Edit: I gathered more information. I tried to relink the textures path via “Fix Up Redirector in Folder” and it didn’t work. I also tried to drag the textures into my material to link them manually but it doesn’t allow me to drag the textures inside the material.

I decided to migrate (I did it several times to try to resolve the issue) but this time I just migrated one material to a new project. Even though I can see the textures folder in my Content folder, Unreal doesn’t load the textures folder, so the material doesn’t load.

This is the weirdest thing. I have a copy of that material on a different project. I can, so far, open that project without problems and the material loads just fine. So I migrated that material to the new project, and I got the same result. The textures are in the Content folder but Unreal doesn’t load them. I also tried migrating the material to a completely new project and it doesn’t load the textures in the content browser either.

Please help me to fix this. I spent a lot of time developing the project, and for some reasons, Unreal now doesn’t open it. I’m working on a deadline and this is killing it.

Edit 2: Still unresolved. I am attaching screenshots of the reference viewer of the material and the error maessage I get when I try to open the material.

*I found out that my plugins (Modo Material Importer and Substance) weren’t enabled, that fixed the problem migrating the material from the project in which the material was already loading but not from the project I am having a problem with.

1 Like

So, it seems that after spending many hours I managed to make it work again. Just in case this is helpful for anyone. These are the things I did:

• Uninstalled everything, all Unreal versions and Epic Games
  • Uninstalled xcode (after installing unreal again I wasn’t even able to open the engine, it crashed before opening up)
  • Turn off substance plugin and restart
  • Turn on substance plugin and restart
  • Delete Intermediate and Sved folders from the game folder and derived data cache folder from library
  • Open the game again
  • Migrate all the content from the game to a new game.

Hopefully I don’t have to do this often.

I think I overkilled it. It seems that just migrating the whole project to a new one is enough (right button over Content in Content browser>Migrate).

I keep getting the same error each time I restart my computer as if one of the maps of my project were corrupted, but just migrating the content to a new project solves it. Maybe it has something to do with Substance plugin, who knows.

After encountering this issue I figured out a way to resolve it, explained here Failed to load Outer for resource on opening a persistent level - Blueprint Visual Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums