Create procedurable overhang in landscape

Hello!
So…I read a lot about landscapes and noticed that one should avoid tesselation or vertex position offset in order to create some interesting effects.
No my question is: how to create some overhangs using textures etc?
I came from Unity, I have been able to create some nice overhang slate rocks that stick out of mountains by using tesselation and displace this along normal and remove the Y comp.
How can all this be done in Unreal?
What is the correct way do add some procedurable overhang effects?
Regards! Tom

i don’t have enough knowledge about unreal engine to give you specific advice, but i believe that overhangs and caves are typically done with mesh objects placed on the terrain, not by simply using the heightmap.

at least, it was that way in cryEngine

Hi

Yes, grab some rocks or something, make a procedural BP, or a spine bp, and just draw you overhand on.

I have done this manually, but could be done with BP or spline.

hi guys!
Thnx for the tips so far!
I’ll take a look at the BP spline, but I really would love to NOT doing stuff ‘by hand’. I have more than 200 chunks to process.
Let me show what I want to do:
On these images you can see those flat stones, I want to sharpen those stones and pull the sides more outwards to have some real slates sticking out of the hill.

Here you can see the smaller rocks on the sides. I used triplanar to map the texture correct and now would love to pull that out of the bigger flatty stones. (makes sense?)

The terrain is build in World machine and I used a 4033 unit big terrain to map a 257 meter area. The lower the resolution, the blurrier the slate rocks become.
Btw: i have searched on forums for a long already. This type of rocks seems to be very hard to recreate.

Its not possible simply using the landscape tool. The landscape tool only moves up and down on z, not x and y.

You could use displacement, but the collision wouldnt also be displaced.

yes, thnx, I noticed indeed. I tried displacement and it can work, but I am reading a lot that one should avoid that for landscapes. Beside, I am currently trying to figure out if doing all stuff by displacement is really the way to go.