Create new animation for default character model using another program (like Blender)

I’m trying to get my feet wet with all of the UE4 features. I can’t find any instructions on how to simply make changes to the default character that appears in the various templates like the 2D side scroller,. Every tutorial ants me to take on character creation, rigging and animating all at once. I feel like I could get a much better hang of and understanding of the system of I could find some instructions on how to, if possible, simply create new animations for the default character,.

Any ideas? Thanks,.

Check out the Learn tab in the launcher, and lookup the content examples, or the 2D stuff. There are some other animations and how to modify existing animations. Or you could download Blender, export the default character and import to Blender, and begin changing the animations there. But Blender export/import to Unreal has atm some flaws and Blender requires learning dozens of shortkeys to get around. Ofc, there are other 3D software too, the format you need is fbx then you can change animations and transfer data into UE or out. But i would recommend to stay within Unreal until you have a better understanding.

Does Unreal have a way to edit animations within it? And does it support any kind of motion capture software? I would love to stay within unreal and use its tools. I tried exporting the default character to blender but the export function for meshes/skeletons and whatnot seems to not work. I think I need to install Maya or something?

I grabbed a Microsoft Kinect and am looking for a work flow to be able to get animations into unreal. Preferably on copies of the default character. I’ll check out the Learn tab ASAP. Thanks!

Check out my Blender addon maybe can help (is free):

Greetings!

You don’t have to export the character skeleton and mesh
you can download them (along side with some animations) in fbx format from here: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

You are amazing. If that link contains those files then it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. This has just become a lot better.

This is the download button

you’ll get this files:
HeroTPP.FBX
Idle.FBX
Jump_End.FBX
Jump_Loop.FBX
Jump_Start.FBX
MontageExample_End_1.FBX
MontageExample_End_2.FBX
MontageExample_Punch_1.FBX
MontageExample_Punch_2.FBX
MontageExample_Start.FBX
Run.FBX
Walk.FBX

The HeroTPP.FBX file is the skeleton

I imported the herotpp.fbx to blender. It’s a little weird. I don’t know exactly what the deal is but it has these weird, I don’t know, spikes I guess?

And they don’t manipulate the mesh like normal bones. I can’t find any sign of a skeleton anywhere on this thing. Just those weird things. If I go into pose mode and view animations those spike things are in place for the animation but the mesh stays in the default position while the spikes move.

Quite weird. Am I going to have to switch to Maya? Every time I need blender for something it looks more and more like that’s going to be the case…