Create Mesh / Volume Shapes from Spline?

So I wanna know is it possible to create a Mesh Shape from the Spline tool? I’ve seen this being done only and ONLY once in a video but literally nobody has something on this.

I ask this because I thought it’d be cool to try out an idea, or more basically, a theory:

I want to make Sidewalks for my game. an easy thing if you just put in the mesh or Spline of Sidewalk meshes. However, looking at a real life map, the blocks where Sidewalks are made are Asymmetrical or no equilateral shapes. I did make an actor that spawns Sidewalks but it’s just for that one square shape, so it’s just repetitive. It’s simple, but not quite effective.

So I went with the Spline approach. My only issue is the empty space within the closed loop of sidewalk. What do I do with that?

I could just put the Buildings to block that, but I want the city block to be able to be seen from the top view.

Also While I was able to get what I sort of wanted, the points on the Spline are red now, and when I move one of the points the segment separates itself from the rest of the Spline, rather than how you’d normally see the Spline move.
You can see how a segment of the spline splits from the rest for the one on the right.

I only toggled the Closed Loop box in the Details panel and I think toggling it off gave me this result. Can anyone test this out to see if that what causes this?

So Bottom Line:

1. Can I Use the Spline Tool to create shapes that can be made into a mesh?
  2. What do I do about the empty space within the Closed Spline Loop?
  3. How do I fix that red dots issue with my current Spline setup?

Blueprint setup will be uploaded shortly.

Setup

Have a look here

If you’re trying to fill in the space inside your spline.

This is something I am working on currently, however I want my player generating the spline in real time, then once they overlap the spline it creates the closed loop and generates an effect inside the shape drawn. Is proving to be a nice little challenge for someone new to UE4 :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I will definitely take a look into this. Will have to go to work but will definitely take time to study this; again, many thanks!

For anyone that might come across this now, as of 5.2 Unreal has a built in feature called “Procedural Content Generator” or PCG for short. This makes generating and populating the internal area of splines very quick and simple.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to track down a tutorial or any documentation on this, do you know of any examples that actually do this?