Create character customization variables for Game Save.

That is the same point I made to the team. Screen shots do not show how everything is weaved together. Sending you the project would be better. I’m glad you posted this. :slight_smile: I’ll be back. :slight_smile:
I really appreciate all your help, Nebula.

While I’m waiting for approval, I did a little test.
I can see the player mesh in Level 2, if I plug in a mesh into the Mesh (inherited). :slight_smile:
So maybe the solution is, I need a function that looks for the children(clothing) of the Mesh(inherited). Then, turn on the appropriate clothing based on the Enums.

If you don’t have a default mesh then yes that data would need to be saved as well and repopulated. I was under the impression you had a mannequin and were adding clothes to it. Again, things like this would be very easy for me to see in a project file not so much with a screen shot. Its little details like that that can end up wasting a lot of time going back and forth trying to solve phantom “bugs” and then a few days later you go “hey so I found out all i needed to do was check X box or set this game mode or character class etc and now it works”. Anyway, look into how you actually build the “mesh” for this actor you need to recreate that in each level as well if it isn’t standard.

Yup, I hope to get permission to at least create stripped down version of the project and send it to you. I do believe you can easily find the solution. :slight_smile:

1. To build the “Mesh” for this actor, I use the UMG buttons to turn on the visibility of the mesh based on Enums. Post #22.
  2. The prints logs all work until it gets to the STRUCT in SaveGame. Post #34.
  3. STRUCTs are new to me. I gotta learn more. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds good. Let me know. While we wait, post screen shots of those functions. I don’t seem to understand what is going on in them. Something else is keeping you from seeing the mesh if those functions from #22 set the outfit style AND the visibility of underlying meshes. Doesn’t seem right if you kept the enums saved that the function wouldn’t produce the same output each time it is run.

I can not get the child mesh components of my Third Person Character to display when I go into level 2. These are the steps I’m using: (These steps coincide with the screen grabs, below.)

1. Clothing are placed as children in the ThirdPersonCharacter Mesh (inherited)
  2. The UMG buttons set the clothing in the ENUM, runs through a Switch on ENUM, then execute the proper function to display the ENUM clothing on Third Person Character (TPC)
  3. Is an example of a function that displays the proper clothing when a button is pressed.
  4. Created a STRUCT with the ENUM categories for Head, Torso, and Legs
  5. Put Struct into Save Game
  6. Put the STRUCT variable into “Game Instance” Save Game function
  7. Put the STRUCT variable into “Game Instance” Load Game function
  8. The “Construct Avatar” function used in Load Game.
  9. Load Game, that runs the “Construct Avatar” function after level 2 opens.
  10. Trying to debug, I can see the player mesh in Level 2, if I plug in a mesh into the Mesh (inherited). So, maybe the problem is, a need a function that looks for the children(clothing) of the Mesh(inherited). Then turn, on the appropriate clothing based on the Enums.

I’m trying to find a way to get a print log of the contents of the STRUCT ENUMS in Game Save, so I can verify that the Game Save has the correct info.
Then,
I think, to Load the clothing when the player teleports to a new level, I need to use “Set Skeletal Mesh.” I need to find a way to look inside the Mesh (inherited) so I can Set Skeletal Mesh." Then this will give me the ability to turn on the visibility of the clothes, based on the ENUM selections the user selected. But, I can not find a way to get a print of the contents of the Mesh(inherited).

Instead of using a STRUCT to store the user selected clothing at runtime, what about “Make Map?”

A good Samaritan (Jonathan) came by and read your suggestion, Nebula.

1. I’m now one step further along…The character loads into level 2.
  2. Now, I can see I have an infinite loop problem. The first component in each “Switch on Enum” is getting loaded in level 2. When Level 2 loads, it should have loaded the clothing that the player picked in level 1.
  3. Jonathan, made some fixes to the blue prints.
  4. These are screen grabs of the fixes.