Create A Character Mode

I’ve been searching for a way to make a “Create A Player” or “Create A Character” mode on the main menu mode of my game. I have been looking for tutorials all over youtube but I cant seem to find anything other than creating one character for your game. I want my player to fully be able to customize what their character looks like. Physical features, hair style, clothes, etc. So if this can be done, can some one please help me out ? Thanks.

Hm.

I’m not sure if there is a quick, nicely wrapped packaged way to achieve what you’re looking for. This is also pretty dependent on what the player is “Creating a character” for. For the sake of providing some sort of answer for you, I’m going to assume you’re just looking for customization at the start of the game and not throughout. I’m pretty new to using UE4 as well, but off the top of my head, here are some things to consider:

**- To start, you’ll probably want to set everything that is customizable to variables that can be saved/properly loaded in your player’s save data. **This way, if your game features a save system, the game will automatically populate these settings when the game reloads. To be honest, this isn’t really different than saving any other variable in a game you’re making. In the same way that your player will want to have $90 of currency when they come back to the game, they’ll want their character to continue having blonde hair when they continue playing the game.

If you haven’t messed around with save states yet, you might want to look at:
Saving and Loading Your Game | Unreal Engine Documentation.

To make a really long story short, you could set up a system in which every time your main actor spawns, all the settings your character chose spawn with it.

• What is the scope of customization you’re looking for?**
    This is probably one of the most important decisions you’ll have to make. Most games I’ve played(even AAA titles) will have a number of template bodies you can choose from and then the player can customize all sorts of different things from there. You mentioned that you’d like physical features to be adjusted upon character creation. This is probably the more difficult things you mentioned on your list. If you look at Character Customization System for Unreal Engine 4 - Work in Progress - Unreal Engine Forums, you’ll see that people are working on their own systems for this.

On the other hand, if you just want some one to be able to select from a limited selection of faces, you could just create several meshes the player can choose from.

If you’re looking at customizable hair, you’re probably looking at separate hair meshes (or a bunch of cards, or however you create your hair assets) that can be spawned on top of an actor’s head and look good.

Clothes - You’ll need to create separate clothing that can be attached to your character’s (perhaps via UE4 sockets, or otherwise.)

Again, it really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Maybe your character chooses a template body and then chooses one of 3 costumes. In this scenario, all you really have to do is create 3 separate meshes with a different hair style and the “clothes” as part of the body.

I have a feeling you’ll want to look at some of the asset creation tutorials for UE4, and depending on where you’re creating your assets, tutorials for that 3rd party program.

Sorry if this wasn’t too comprehensive, but hopefully this helps you get started.

this was very helpful. thank you !