Crashes opening a 5.4 project

After creating a 5.4 (or 5.4.1) project, right at the end of compiling shaders it crashes.
I tried to reinstall (multiple times), update drivers & update windows, but nothing works. 5.3.2 works fine for me.

Crash log:
Assertion failed: uint32(Allocation.BaseIndex + Allocation.Size) <= StructMetaData.GetSize() [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\ShaderParameterStruct.cpp] [Line: 276]

UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

I am having the exact same problem. I cannot create a 5.4.0 or 5.4.1 project. The project creation gets about 50 percent and then aborts or crashes my machine.

Machine specs:

1. CPU 13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz
  2. Motherboard Z790 Aorus Elite AX
  3. DDR5 RAM with 64.0 GB installed
  4. GPU NVIDA GeForce RTX 4070
  5. Running Windows 11

Windows update is current. My Bios is up to date. GPU NVIDA driver is Studio V 552.22 (Release date 04/16/2024). Visual Studio Community 2022 17.9.6 and set up according to UE specifications.

After the last failure to create a project i deleted everything in the project folder except for the content folder and the uproject file and it did open. However once I tried to add any content and tried to reopen the file it crashed my PC.

Log File creating a project:
MyProject2.log (67.7 KB)

I am facing this exact issue as well. Specs are ,

i9 14900K
RTX 4070ti
64 GB DDR5 Ram

Out of curiosity what is your motherboard?

I am also having the same issue. My wife dug into it a little bit of the crash report and found that one of the render files is not being found. I will post any updates if we figure more out

Having the exact same problem too. Can’t open project created by 5.4.0,5.4.1,5.4.0 sourcebuild or5.4.1 sourcebuild.Crash log reported the same error:
Assertion failed: uint32(Allocation.BaseIndex + Allocation.Size) <= StructMetaData.GetSize().
Tried to bypass this line and rebuilt the engine still got another error.

BTW,I tried to install the UE5.4.1 on a 13700F machine and it worked perfectly,but just cloud not get it to work on my 13900KF workstation.This error may have something to do with the CPU

i9 14900K
RTX 4070ti
64 GB DDR5 Ram

Greetings @BakedCheese

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Community Forum! Is the project you’re getting this on a project that you made from scratch or migrated/moved over from an older UE version? If it’s a migrated project, I’d try making a fresh project from scratch and seeing if the issue persist. If not, migrate the files over to a blank project and test again. Let me know the results. Thanks!

Gigabyte Z790 UD AC

They are not migrated files. I cannot make a fresh project from scratch. I tried making a new blank project without starter content and it either quits at about 40 percent or crashes my PC.

Interesting! Almost every post I see on this issue are from those that are running Z790s.

i9 14900K
RTX 4070ti
64 GB DDR5 Ram

I should also add that my asus rog laptop with a rtx 2070 works perfectly fine for 5.4. My pc is set up exactly the same. I have the feeling that problems with 5.4 is less to do with set up and more to do with architecture. Reviewing the standard workhorse stations that epic games posted that they use is not near z790 mb and ddr5 ram. I am beginning to think that 5.4 was not compatible to higher end machines.

Oh wow! Are you able to post a crash log from that happening when you’re trying to launch UE? That would be super helpful, if so.

I will get those uploaded as soon as I get home from work :blush:

@FrostyJas

OK. The first log is the inital project creation 3rd person templete with starter content. It got to about 35 percent compiling shaders before it quit.

MyProject_ProjectCreationFailure.txt (41.5 KB)

The second report is trying to restart from where the project creation failed.

MyProject_CrashAttemptingRestarting.txt (159.4 KB)

The project never opened. My specs are the same as my first post in this thread except that I swapped out my gpu from my RTX 4070 to my older RTX 3070 which had the same results so I doubt if it has anything to do with my GPU. Drivers are upto date and running NVIDA Studio default settings, My Bios is current. All of my MB drivers are current. My VS 2022 is exactly as recommended by Unreal documentation and is a carbon copy of the set up in my ASUS ROG Laptop (which handles 5.4 perfectly). If I try to restart the project again chances are it will crash my PC which has happened more than once.

@FrostyJas

Update. After deleting all the folders except for Content and the UE Project File the project did open as per the log below

MyProject_OpenedProjectDeletingFiles.txt (112.4 KB)

Once opened I attempted to enable virtual textures. Log below

MyProject_RestartingAfterEnablingVirtualTextures.txt (92.5 KB)

Then making a second attempt to open the file

MyProject_CrashAttemptingRestartingWithVirtualTextures.txt (65.0 KB)

I hope any of this is a help. As a side note I was albe to open this project with virtual texture support enabled on my old ASUS ROG laptop which has a 2070 RTX GPU. Also every 5.3.2 project that has Virtual texture support will not compile or cook on my PC but works just fine on my Laptop.

I am at a loss

I see. The two area’s I’d look at next are to ensure you have Visual Studios up to date and if so, I’d consider going into the defaultengine.ini and change the map. If it lets you load up like that, fix redirects and change the map back in the .ini file. Let me know the results there. Thanks!

I made the projects from scratch, I didn’t migrate them.

I also tried multiple settings, like different templates, C++/Blueprint, Quality preset: Maximum/scalable, raytracing: on/off

Also visual studio 2022 is updated