Crashes on Minimize / Non-use & Texure Blur in 4.14

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to report that I’ve sent off a few reports with the editor crashing every now and then which is normal and perfectly expected.

However there have been a few crashes where I would’ve been tweaking a texture or something in another application, leaving UE4 4.14 idle in the background and then when ready to import said asset to the content browser, the interface is completely frozen and is unable to be maximised from the icon on the taskbar, or have any of the button work and I’ve had to End the process via task manager so was unable to actually send an error report to you. Thankfully, the editor’s been great at restoring 90% of the work on reload.

Just wanted to report this was happening. Also, for what it’s worth, I’ve noticed my textures suffer from some odd blurring at times (without moving the camera or changing the culling distance), sometimes patience or a re-save of the material in question brings back the hi-res. Notice this didn’t happen in the last build. :slight_smile:

Bumping this. Same issue if I open two editors at once and have one in the background. No crash log emitted. Nothing unusual in editor log.

Hey guys,

Do you have a bug report on answers.unrealengine.com going yet? If not, I would suggest posting your crash report there so our technicians can take a look and find the cause. Sorry about the crash, thanks for letting us know!

The problem here is that the engine is not detecting a crash, rather becoming unresponsive. I think it has something to do with other applications using the d3d or opengl pipeline to start rendering. I will try to replicate with a debugger attached to see where the issue lies though.

[EDIT]
Hung on WindowsPlatformProcessor.cpp FEventWin::Wait

•   this	0x0000000039cbba60 {Event=0x00000000000008ac ManualReset=false }	FEventWin *

•   FEvent	{EventId=654603 EventStartCycles=0 }	FEvent

•   __vfptr	0x000007feda1350e8 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!const FEventWin::`vftable'} {0x000007fed9f4ac40 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::Create(bool)}, ...}	void * *
      [0]	0x000007fed9f4ac40 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::Create(bool)}	void *
      [1]	0x000007fed9f5dac0 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::IsManualReset(void)}	void *
      [2]	0x000007fed9f737e0 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::Trigger(void)}	void *
      [3]	0x000007fed9f6a3f0 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::Reset(void)}	void *
      [4]	0x000007fed9f75950 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::Wait(unsigned int, const bool)}	void *
      [5]	0x000007fed9f45ff0 {UE4Editor-Core.dll!FEventWin::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned int)}	void *
      EventId	654603	unsigned int
      EventStartCycles	0	unsigned int
      Event	0x00000000000008ac	void *
      ManualReset	false	bool

To reproduce I opened an editor. Opened another editor for another game (in this case the stylized rendering sample project under learn. Selected run in standalone. Alt tab, closed the standalone window. Selected the first window from the task bar.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, my response notifications didn’t work. Like BMoney explains, there’s no log to post unfortunately. Is it still useful to report this bug on the AnswerHub or has the issue been taken into consideration / fix in the works? [MENTION=8] [/MENTION] :slight_smile:

Based only on that one section of log, I’d say we’ll want to look into it more through AnswerHub. There are some known crashes we’re working on right now that we want to resolve in a hotfix, but it would help us if we could verify exactly what this is. A bug report is the best way for us to log the issue.

Please follow this guide to log a bug report.

Thank you

This may be related, as of 4.14.2 I am also seeing the editor becoming laughably small after being minimized for a period. RcDozsJ.png

yes that is the editor window and yes those are tabs on chrome in the background

Wow that’s unbelievably small! Strangely enough it seems 4.14 isn’t as stable as previous engine builds when left idling / minimised :frowning:
Hoping the regular patches to it will fix it eventually!

bump.
Same here.
4.24.3 version.
windows 10.
Editor stop to respond after minimized for a while.
Not other app running, only browser (google chrome).