Crash with GPU error (i guess)

Hi.
Unreal Engine 4.26 crashes regularly. I updated some parts of my computer (motherboard, cpu and ram) and Unreal Engine 4 started getting some kind of critical error.
First Unreal Engine freezes and the whole system freezes too. The system does not respond to the keyboard and mouse. The cursor does not move. Then Unreal Engine crashes with an error, the system is restored. Sometimes the screen starts to flicker, changing the normal image and a black screen.

Windows event :
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Origin popup :
Assertion failed: GD3D11RHI->GetQueryData(Query->Resource, &Query->Result, sizeof(Query->Result), Query->QueryType, true, false) [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Query.cpp] [Line: 45]

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_RHI
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Renderer
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Here is the detail of what I run :

• Windows 10 x64
  • Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B660M-A D4
  • CPU: Intel12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-12600K, 3686 MGz
  • RAM: 32506 MB
  • GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

To fix the error myself, I did:

• I checked the system (Windows 10 x4) and RAM for errors. No errors were found.
  • Reinstalled the system (Windows 10 x4).
  • Changed the values for Tdr to the recommended ones.
  • Installed the latest video card drivers.
  • Reinstalled the Unreal Engine 4.26 editor.
  • Created a clean Unreal Engine 4.26 project and tested work in it.

Unfortunately, all these steps did not resolve the error.
Help me please!

Hey there @Koxae! Welcome back to the community! So this is going to be a bit of a rough one. Sometimes the screen flickering is indicative of larger larger issues but can sometimes just be software based. I’ve got a couple of questions!

After the screen flicker did you get a windows notification that the graphics card drivers had reset/been restarted?

Thank you for bringing your attention to my problem!

I am not getting driver or hardware error messages from Windows. Several recent crashes were not accompanied by flicker effects.
Most often the error appears when I edit the collision of static meshes, I think so.

Hrm, I think the editing collisions part might actually be a red herring to a larger issue. I’m looking into the query code to see if I can verify it’s fail states. In the meantime, more questions!

Is your GPU overclocked?

Do you currently have the Nvidia overlay (or any other overlay that taps GPU) currently active?

I’ve also seen the nvlddmkm error before when memory was incorrectly assigned or cleared for a GPU as well.

Are you using the game-ready Nvidia drivers? If so, could you try swapping over to Studio drivers in Geforce experience?

It seems to me that the error was fixed by replacing DX12 with DX11 in the project settings. (Saw the solution here GPU crashed or D3D device removed error - #6 by SupportiveEntity and decided to give it a try). I even managed to create a collision for mesh in the editor, and the Unreal Engine worked properly. I really hope this is a solution to the problem.
And I will answer your questions.

My GPU is not overclocked.

No.

Yes, I am using Nvidia Game Ready Drivers. If the editor crashes continue, I’ll try to replace the drivers.

Thanks for your help! And thanks to this forum that it exists, it helps a lot. )

Oh sorry I usually mention that (as you see from my other reply you linked haha) but I saw GD3D11RHI so I assumed that only ran on DX11 as the target. So it seemed like you were already on DX11!

So yes this does usually solve the issue, but if you need DX12 features not so much. If you do run into any other issues, try out the studio drivers. They have added stability for a number of cases I’ve worked with!

I think I managed to fix the crashes of Unreal Engine. This post on reddit helped me.
I, like the author, installed MSI Afterburner and reduced the Core Clock and Memory Clock values. So far Unreal Engine is stable.
Hope this information helps someone. :v:

1 Like