[CRASH] Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000020

My exact version is 4.24.2 and I have no extra plugins.

Below is the exact output from the debugger after a crash.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000020 nvwgf2umx nvwgf2umx D3D12 dxgi dxgi dxgi dxgi dxgi dxgi dxgi UE4Editor_D3D12RHI UE4Editor_D3D12RHI UE4Editor_D3D12RHI UE4Editor_RHI UE4Editor_RHI UE4Editor_RHI UE4Editor_RHI UE4Editor_Core UE4Editor_Core UE4Editor_RenderCore UE4Editor_Core UE4Editor_Core kernel32 ntdll

I’ve read through, and proceeded with the fixes, to these UE4 posts but to no avail.

1. Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000060 - Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums
  2. Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000008 - Platform & Builds - Unreal Engine Forums
  3. [CRASH] EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000178 - Community & Industry Discussion - Unreal Engine Forums
  4. [CRASH] EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x00000010 - Installation & Setup - Unreal Engine Forums
  5. Editor Crash - Reproductible steps - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

Is anybody else having this issue? If so, any tips on how to fix it?

UPDATE: After I posted this question, I continued scouring the forums. I found (5) and noticed that on his #1 he enabled Raytracing. I remembered doing this, so I navigated to my project settings and turned off Raytracing. I am still having the exact same issue, but figured this might be of note.

I had a similar error: Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000220

Not sure if yours is more or less the same issue that I had, but I spent many hours trying to fix it. Finally I came across this forum. Check to see if you have any of your details panels not showing up for any of your inherited components in blueprints. If so, you may have to re-parent or recreate the blueprint otherwise your components will be null and might throw a null pointer exception if not caught or checked. It seems to be caused by adding a component in the cpp file after the fact that you parented a blueprint class to that file. Not sure if its the same issue your having but its worth a try since it fixed my error. Also, this may help someone else.

1 Like

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

It seems this is EXACTLY the issue! Thank you so much. I spent hours trying to figure out exactly what was happening. I’m not sure what caused it, but it seems that when I imported some of things from the “Realistic Rendering” project one of them wasn’t imported correctly. Thank you so much! (My fix was actually just to delete the item and re-import it)

comment fait ons sa ??? par etape svp

Hi guys, i have the same issue but when the game crashes I receive:
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x000000000000005c
I want to ask how to fix this. I made evrything so the game stops crashing but it keeps doing it again.
My UAC (User Cccount Control), I set it to 0, the file was set to read-only and the settings of the game are good but…

Hi. I am brand new to game development. I have less than a month experience in unreal or any other software. This is a dumb question, but can you explain this solution to me as someone whos very new?

1 Like