Crash on launch, but not when Play Standalone

When I Play->Standalone, my test project will run. But when I attempt to Launch->PC (or Package), I get the following crash…

The UE4-MyProject Game has crashed and will close
Assertion failed: Module.IsValid() [File:D:\projects\Unreal Engine\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Modules\ModuleManager.cpp] [Line: 245] 
Invalid module UE4Game

KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fefd7e940d) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
MyProject.exe!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() (0x000000013f82c955) + 0 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
MyProject.exe!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() (0x000000013f6a2508) + 159 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
MyProject.exe!FDebug::AssertFailed() (0x000000013f680db5) + 121 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
MyProject.exe!FModuleManager::LoadModuleChecked() (0x000000013f732c78) + 76 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\modules\modulemanager.cpp:245]
MyProject.exe!FProjectManager::LoadModulesForProject() (0x000000013f848a98) + 51 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\projectmanager.cpp:99]
MyProject.exe!FEngineLoop::LoadStartupModules() (0x000000013f559578) + 20 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1808]
MyProject.exe!FEngineLoop::PreInit() (0x000000013f55cc4c) + 8 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1373]
MyProject.exe!GuardedMain() (0x000000013f55554b) + 15 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
MyProject.exe!GuardedMainWrapper() (0x000000013f55565a) + 5 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
MyProject.exe!WinMain() (0x000000013f5628e9) + 17 bytes [d:\projects\unreal engine\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
MyProject.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() (0x000000014217051d) + 21 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]
kernel32.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00000000776859ed) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00000000777bc541) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00000000777bc541) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

I’m primarily using/building the Development Editor (and less often Debug Editor) from source.

Invalid module UE4Game doesn’t make a lot of sense to me - what’s up with that?
What are the techniques I should be using to resolve invalid module?

If I look at my package’s MyProject/Binaries/Win64/MyProject.exe, the file size is around 62mb (the pdb is 400mb) - so I’d be surprised if things are actually missing.

Howdy JasonKing,

Thank you for reporting this issue. There was an error in our documentation that was showing the incorrect location of the correct .exe file to use for your packaged project. When you open the WindowsNoEditor folder, is there a .exe file located in the folder? if so, that would be the correct executable to open for your packaged project.

Be sure to let me know if this helps with your issue.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you for your response.

In MyProject\Binaries\Win64\ there exists a MyProject.exe. I have no other .exe files in my project (including the WindowsNoEditor folder or it’s subfolders).

Any ideas?

Hey ,

What version of UE4 would you be using and is that build a binary or source build of the engine? If you package a blank project, do you see the same errors occur?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi ,

Just wanted to check in with you and see if this issue is still occurring. If so, would you be able to provide the information asked for in the above post?

Thanks!

Hi Sean,

Yep, I’m still working on this problem - it just gets placed on the back burner sometimes.

We are using Unreal 4.6 which we build from source.

I have a large project which is working without problem, but my test project is the one that fails. All it has is a plugin (what I’m wanting to test) and default build/target files. So my next step is to try without the plugin - I’ll comment again after I’m able to test.

Thanks,

Thanks for the update ,

If this issue still persists, you may want to see if you can successfully open a packaged project in a newer version of UE4. There have been many fixes from 4.6 to 4.7.2 and the error that you are seeing may have been resolved since then.

Thanks!

Hey ,

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you had the chance to test this issue without the plugin? If you are seeing the same errors, would you be able to share the build logs so that I may be bale to further investigate? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Unfortunately I was having trouble with Perforce within Unreal a few weeks back and my test project was only partially committed. Coming back to it required that I attempt to reproduce the problem, but the problem was not reproducible. I believe the issue naturally went away when I added a new empty class (from within the Editor) back into my test project as I was attempting to rebuild the bug.