Crash on launch 'Assertion failed: FCString::Strlen(InName)'

Hi,

I have been running into a crash bug which crashes the editor on launch. Other projects seems to work fine and not been able to run down the exact fault that’s causing it.

Crash report data:

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

Assertion failed: FCString::Strlen(InName)<=NAME_SIZE [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\UObject\UnrealNames.cpp] [Line: 460]

KERNELBASE + 109229 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() + 292 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() + 248 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() + 1079 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
UE4Editor_Core!FName::Init() + 131 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\uobject\unrealnames.cpp:463]
UE4Editor_Core!FName::FName() + 38 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\uobject\unrealnames.cpp:367]
UE4Editor_Core!FConfigFile::ProcessInputFileContents() + 4211 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\configcacheini.cpp:557]
UE4Editor_Core!FConfigFile::Read() + 193 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\configcacheini.cpp:582]
UE4Editor_Core!ProcessIniContents() + 495 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\remoteconfigini.cpp:466]
UE4Editor_Core!LoadAnIniFile() + 135 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\configcacheini.cpp:2521]
UE4Editor_Core!GenerateDestIniFile() + 93 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\configcacheini.cpp:2549]
UE4Editor_Core!FConfigCacheIni::LoadGlobalIniFile() + 995 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\configcacheini.cpp:2898]
UE4Editor_Core!FConfigCacheIni::InitializeConfigSystem() + 1122 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\configcacheini.cpp:2829]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::AppInit() + 827 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2465]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() + 5770 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1051]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 251 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

Hi gamereat,

Can you post your crash logs here so I can take a look at them? You can find these at \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs\

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
Here the log dump.

If you could provide the full logs, they should be located below the .dmp files. I may be able to get a better idea of what is going on with those.

Sorry just checked my \Saved\Logs and there no .bmp files just .logs

What was the most recent change that you made before the crash occurred? Does this occur on a clean project with no additional content or is it limited to the one project?

I had just created a merge in my source control software.

I just tried copy and pasting my content folder into another project at it seems which seems to have worked.

if you take the contents folder out of your project does it open without any problems? If so, slowly start adding folders back in until it crashes again, which folder does it crash on?

I seemed to have worked with the full content folder and I can’t seem to replicate the bug again. Sorry

Hi gamereat,

I’m happy to hear you aren’t experiencing this error any longer. For now, I will mark this thread as answered for tracking purposes. If you experience this crash again, please comment with an updated log and steps you took before the crash occurred.