[Crash] Fatal error in GenericPlatformMemory.cpp

Getting randomly this crash after 4.13.1, while placing static meshes in editor.

[2016.09.30-11.31.15:325][382]LogWindows:Error: Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.13+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 147]
[2016.09.30-11.31.15:325][382]LogWindows:Error: Ran out of memory allocating 18446744070340949812 bytes with alignment 0

Having 32Gt DDR memory and at least 60Gt free space in SSD/other related HD’s.

Also sent crashreport with MachineId:F87B756443F95CE9986941A672FE5264

link text

Hey SaOk,

Thanks for providing the logs and Machine ID.

I see that you’re working with Hierarchical Instanced Static Meshes. Could you provide a bit more information regarding this setup? Are you spawning any significant amount of them that could potentially cause you to run out of memory?

I am using much the Hierarchical Instanced Static Meshes. Most of the house pieces and repeating details are instances. Recently began to use Instance Tool by Nate:

I would estimate I have few 100s instance component actors with total 1500-4000 instances (+ foliage). The performance is superb (55-70fps), and having no issues when playtesting. Unreal Engine is using 2647mt.

Been testing with only 3 levels active while having this crash. Having 17 levels active have been working while playtesting.

EDIT: Restarted editor and now it says Unreal Engine is using 10986mt memory. Was already 9800mt before loading the 2 levels and 1000mt after those were loaded. :S

Thank you for the information.

As a test could you attempt to remove the third party plugin and see if you experience the same crash?

There seem to be some meshes or at least one that is causing the crash, just by adding it into level. Could be the issue issue isnt instance related, but I will do testing during next week.

Nevermind, also getting the crash sometimes when alt-dublicating instances.

Thanks for the additional info. I haven’t been able to reproduce this at all on my end unfortunately. Have you been able to determine a consistent repro case for the crash, or have you been able to recreate it in a simplified test project?

Hello,

I am marking this topic as resolved for tracking purposes, as we have not heard from you in a few days. If this issue persists, feel free to respond to this thread. For any new issues, please create a new Answerhub topic.

Have a great day

I also have this error, but in 5.1 project, 5101x5101 heavily sculpted terrain, to crash, all I did was go into world part tab, choose an area, unload it, played in game exited, then went to part tab again, to reload, and it crashed before I could do that.

Thx!!, any ideas ? I have amd ryzen 3600 6 core, 16gb 3600 ram and 8gb rx 6000 brandnew ( to me ). also when I try and save all, I get these weirdl can’[t save, these external actors ?? How do I fix this

Blockquote

Thx