Crash after packaging - event an empty project

After packaging my game and launching WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Game.exe it immediately crashes.
So i created a new, blank project, packaged it - and it also crashes! Here is log from Engine/Saved/Logs, from new, empty project:

Log file open, 12/18/14 13:39:16
LogInit:Display: Running engine for game: UE4Game
LogInit: Version: 4.6.1-2386410+++depot+UE4-Releases+4.6
LogInit: API Version: 2369412
LogInit: Compiled (64-bit): Dec 11 2014 21:33:04
LogInit: Compiled with Visual C++: 18.00.21005.01
LogInit: Build Configuration: Development
LogInit: Branch Name: ++depot+UE4-Releases+4.6
LogInit: Command line: 
LogInit: Base directory: C:/Users/Slavq/Desktop/tessssssssst/WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Win64/
LogInit: Rocket: 1
LogTaskGraph: Started task graph with 3 named threads and 6 total threads.
LogOnline:Warning: No default platform service specified for OnlineSubsystem
LogInit: Presizing for 0 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
LogInit: Object subsystem initialized
LogWindows:Error: Windows GetLastError: Operacja ukończona pomyślnie. (0)
LogWindows: === Critical error: ===
Assertion failed: GConfig->GetInt(TEXT("TextureStreaming"), TEXT("MinTextureResidentMipCount"), MinTextureResidentMipCount, GEngineIni) [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.6\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\SystemSettings.cpp] [Line: 346] 

KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction (0x000007fefce2940d) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f475575) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f308548) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f2e5c95) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x0000000140da7bb1) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f1d6b6c) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f1cfa7b) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f1cfb8a) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x000000013f1dd8b9) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Game.exe!UnknownFunction (0x0000000141a34595) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
kernel32.dll!UnknownFunction (0x0000000076c759ed) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x0000000076dac541) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x0000000076dac541) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

LogExit: Executing StaticShutdownAfterError
LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
Log file closed, 12/18/14 13:39:16

It’s blueprint only project. I don’t know what is causing this. Previously my Avast false detected some EvoGen in RCX9E0.tmp and RCXDF86.tmp during packaging, but i’ve recovered these files and disabled Avast. Maybe i should reinstall UE? Or Visual Studio?

Update: I’ve changed to Shipping build, but it gives an error Failed to open descriptor file '…/…/…/UE4Game-Win32-Shipping/UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.uproject’

When i launch .exe file from WindowsNoEditor folder, it works (with some problems, e.g. player strange rotation), but in docs i’ve read that we should play packaged games from “[PackageDirectory]\WindowsNoEditor[ProjectName]\Binaries\Win32” - is that correct?

UPDATE 2: Here is my DXdiag and log files from: [ProjectFolder]/Saved/Logs and [DevelopmentPackagedProject]/WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Saved/Logs . There is no “Saved” folder in Shipping packaged version of project, so no log from there:
LogFromPackaged
LogFromProject
DXDiag

I’ve created new project with FPP template. Didn’t changed anything. Packaged with Development mode, then with Shipping mode. In Development Packaged folder, launching WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Game.exe crashes with no error message in crash reporter. In Shipping Packaged folder, launching WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Win32/UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe causes an error: Failed to open descriptor file '…/…/…/UE4Game-Win32-Shipping/UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.uproject’
However, in both cases, when launching .exe straight from the WindowsNoEditor folder, it runs fine.

PS. I’ve changed .log files extension to .txt because i could not upload .log files here.

Howdy Slavq,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I am going to need a bit more information before i dig into this issue. Would you be able to attach your DXdiag and your project log files to this post? If you Package a basic template project, does this error still occur for you? Also, Are you using a Binary version of UE4 or using the Source Build from GitHub?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

I’ve updated my post with more info and log files + DXDiag. Tested with basic FPP template project, still causes the same error.
I’m using a Binary version of UE4.

Only blueprint.

Is this a code based project or a blueprint based project?

I know you said in your earlier post that you had Avast Antivirus and since then have uninstalled it. Would you be able to Uninstall the engine and then re-install it? This may fix the issue that you are seeing. Please be sure to let me know the outcome of that test.

I do not think that VS2013 being re-installed would affect the Blueprint only build.

Thanks!

Ok, i have reinstalled UE, even changed antivirus to AVG. Still the same error. I’ve created a new project with First Person template and packaged with Development mode. Here is what i see when i try to run WindowsNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Game.exe:

Log:
[LOG][2]
As i said before, the .exe from WindowsNoEditor folder works fine. What’s the purpose of this exe? According to documentation, this is not the .exe that we should run.

Thank you for the photo. I have been able to recreate the crash that you have been seeing. Just wanted to check one thing though. If you use that Windows Explorer route but stop after the WindowsNoEditor folder, do you happen to see an exe application in that folder? That is the .exe file that you would want to double click to open.

Let me know if this helps with your issue

Yes, there is .exe file in WindowsNoEditor folder and it’s working, as i said before :slight_smile: But according to documentation: Packaging Unreal Engine Projects | Unreal Engine Documentation (in Running Packaged Games section) - it says that we should run packaged game from “[PackageDirectory]\WindowsNoEditor[ProjectName]\Binaries\Win64” - that’s why i was trying to run the .exe from there.

… So if the .exe in WindowsNoEditor folder is the right one to run game, then everything is fine and my issue is resolved :slight_smile: But it seems like this documentation page is outdated and misleading.
Thanks!

Hey Slavq,

Thank you again for reporting this issue. I have entered JIRA report UEDOC-768 to have the documentation adjusted to reflect the correct Windows Explorer path for the .exe file. I am not sure when this Document will be updated but I will be sure to keep you posted when I hear any information about it.

Thanks and have a great day!

hye slavq , i have similar problems now , did you solved it ? i’m using UE4 4.15.0 and having the exactly the same problem as yours . did you solved the problem or you still waiting for solution ? help me pleasee .

Hey, try to launch the .exe file from the WindowsNoEditor folder. It helped in my case.