[Crash 4.6.1] UMG get gamestate on construct level load

The editor will crash if you set the promote GetGameState to a variable on contruct in a UMG widget. The widget is added to the viewport via GameInstance so normal UMG level transition crashes shouldnt occur. Tested on a blank project.

1: Make 2 Levels

2: Create a UMG widget whose construct event gets GameState and promotes it to a variable.

3: Set up game instance to have a show hud event that creates the widget.

4: Level blueprint tells game instance to show hud.

5: Load another level using Open “mapName”.

6: Crash.

7: Remove the GetGameState and setting to variable.

8: Doesnt Crash.

Crash report states that the map hasn’t been cleaned by garbage collection.
Removing the widget from parent before loading a level doesn’t affect it either.

Here is the construct of the UMG widget

29212-capture.jpg

Here is the GameInstanceClass

29213-capture2.jpg

Here is the level blueprint

[CrashLog][4]

Hello ,

I was able to reproduce this using the reproduction steps provided above. However, I did a bit more testing. I found that this has been fixed on a later version of the engine. Thank you for your time and information as pertains to this issue.

Make it a great day

Thanks for the reply. I know that this is fixed with 4.7 as I’ve tested, but it seems thats only the case if you enable bUseSeamlessTravel. Is that the case for you or am I doing something wrong?

Hello ,

I set it up in the exact same manner both times. I did not make any changes (other than the version of course) and I set it up exactly as you have shown in the pictures provided.

I am noticing this exact issue when reading from a load game data from disk. If i remove it, it doesn’t crash when I have it and load a level it crashes. It is caused by an error UObject cannot be created during garbage collection.