Courses and Learning Level Design and Architecture in Real Time

I’m looking for fairly advanced topics on level design and architecture for real time (mostly game development). Even though building a level doesn’t sound too hard, I feel like I’m missing a lot of details/polishing/optimization that goes with it. I’ve done the GameDev.tv UE course, studied lighting from Ryan Manning and a few other youtube sources, but when it comes to advanced topics in level design and optimization, I’m falling short. Do you guys have any youtube videos or advanced courses for studying? Stuff like advanced materials when using modular (or non modular) meshes for walls, ceiling, floor, and optimizing so that only the rooms you want to load will load, how to use world partition correctly, best practices for loading/unloading stuff, best practices for lighting and meshes (such as modular vs non modular), etc…

1 Like

I could write a book, but it would be pretty much the equivalent of the silmarillion… doubt I’d even find a publisher.

Separate each topic.
Find answers on the forum; I myself have covered several of those explanations.

And do;
Trial and error is what gets you real knowlege - as time consumptive as it is.

Stuff like:
advanced materials
Learn to make your own water, you should end up learning most material related things.
The rest can be picked up making grass move around in various ways.
I guess playing with Post Processes also teaches a lot.

when using modular (or non modular) meshes for walls, ceiling, floor
Always make modular. Use actor merge if needed.

optimizing so that only the rooms you want to load will load,
Level streaming with manual volumes.

how to use world partition correctly,
Just don’t… but if you have to learn, I guess start with how ue4 worked.
This is a book of its own about as thick as TLOR trilogy to keep with the original comment.

best practices for loading/unloading stuff,
There’s no standard. This depends more on your target device memory footprint.
Low treshold? = loading gate. A spot where the player is kept in for a fre moments, passing between a crevice, small corridor, opening a gate, etc.
Large treshold = open world.

best practices for lighting and meshes (such as modular vs non modular), etc…
Regadless of what you do, or in what engine, you meshes should all have lightnaps that allow baking lights properly.

And you do need to look up best practices for UV creation / light UV creation.